Alabama River Fishing Forum Index Alabama River Fishing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shoal Bass Alliance, Inc.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alabama River Fishing Forum Index -> Environmental/Conservation Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Braveswin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Shoal Bass Alliance, Inc. Reply with quote

Friends,

Over on the GRF board, there are some folks putting together a federation to work on conserving the Shoal Bass and its habitat. Because this species is native to only three states (Alabama, Georgia & Florida), it may be important to you to help in this effort.

If you are so inclined, here are links to the purpose thread as well as one asking for volunteers.

http://georgiariverfishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6422

http://georgiariverfishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6331&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

Cheers,
Randy
dblhaul
Time For An Intervention

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Braveswin,
First off...Hat's off to your efforts . I believe what you guys are doing is probably 100% grassroots for the SouthEast. It seems that when it comes to indigenous black bass species found in public waterways there has been very little "direct" involvement. A few of us Alabama creek dwellers have on ocassion while walking back to cars after a fish have discussed -with utter amazemant and shock- how our red-eye creeks have this scary Herculean balancing act that poised on such a delicate tight rope that is comprised of such free will or sometimes "free-wheel" fibers as: individual responsibilty, "self-sustainment by mother nature, or the undiscovered jewel clause. Alabama does have champion groups such as The BlackWarrior RiverKeeper and the Cahaba River Society that fight such big and immense battles that protect whole watershed ecosysyems that sometimes the list is too long to just mention single civilian members such as "shoal bass", or "red-eye bass". Once such "guards" have been established then groups can be formed to protect "target" species. We often hear and read where species such as mollusk, darters, turtles are given protected rights and have a intense management and conservation focus, and these are species that are not sport and game targeted species. My point being, what you guys are planning to do is probably in many respects, IS IN FACT equally or more important. Good job...

I do have a few questions. Have you guys approached Georgia DNR with your plans? Are you planning on developing under the auspices of a "non/not for profit" filing? Do you see this group developing chapters through-out the state? I realize that most states have groups such as Trout Unlimited, Ducks Unlimited, National Turkey Federation which offer new chapters guidance and direction in getting established and development. I post these questions becuase I believe now is the time to do something to insure the future of Alabama's creeks, small rivers and importantly our red-eye bass.....Before I read your post I had this experince recently that made the ole' wheels start turning:
---Seems that around the mid-60's red-eye bass brood stock was collected from Sheads Creek and sent to California for stocking efforts. Red-eye were successful stocked and established in Santa Margarita and South Fork Stanislaus and numerous impoundments where they are reported to be thriving and quite frankly, growing BIG. Yep, California thanks us for the largemouth and spots that we sent their way. In fact that have thanked us by growing world record fish. Embarassed
For the past 3 months, I have been having conversations with Brian Quelvog of the California Dept. of Freshwater Fisheries. I am interested im making a trip mid summer to see just how the red-eye has done after "re-locating" from the SouthEast to Hollywood. I am sure that he-the red-eye= is spirtually more "centred" , has a therapist, spirtualist, blackberry, and habitat that is non-petroluem based..Plus is just so much stronger due to a vegan diet... Laughing ..Seriously..Brian Quelvog's comments toward success is the fact that the state of California has managed it's fisheries and aquatic resources under very scrutinous guard. He remarked that sucess has been shared with the efforts by groups with the same exact focus that you guys are planning...4lb red-eye? Hey sounds good to me..

I hope the GRF gives you guys your own section so that you can report your progress and success. Good luck..The shoal bass is worth forming a game plan over...Thumbs up.
Shoalwalker
Chub

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your interest dblhaul.

Yes, we are going to form a 501(c)(3) non-profit.

Yes, we are working with Georgia DNR and a fisheries biologist from Auburn who is conducting studies for the DNRs of Georgia and Alabama. We also intend to draw the Florida DNR in.

In addition to preserving shoalies, we intend to set up a Flint "Riverkeeper" to protect the only waters where shoalies are relatively unimpaired.

Note that one of the shoalies biggest problems is the invasion of spots which are not native to the ACF river system. DNR has acknowledged, unofficially, that there is no limit on keeping spots in the ACF Georgia flows. We are seeking official recognition of that policy.

Here's a thorny issue: Should we advocate the introduction of shoalies into other waters? It's hard to argue that we want non-native spots eliminated, but want to introduce shoalies into non-native waters. Studies indicate that the introduction of shoalies and spots have seriously impaired the red-eyes of the Upper Ocmulgee. Unless the best scientific data shows that it is only the spots that are harming the red-eyes, we should refrain from urging new stockings.

Check us out on the Georgia Environmental board anytime.

http://georgiariverfishing.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=10
dblhaul
Time For An Intervention

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Shoalwalker. Are you guy's going to offer a fee-based membership? If so, please let us know that details. I am sure that there other folks beside myself that will want to join. Illinois Smallmouth Alliance is a group that seems that know what they are doing. Check em' out. Crawdaddy Craig knows those folks...

Here's a thorny issue: Should we advocate the introduction of shoalies into other waters? It's hard to argue that we want non-native spots eliminated, but want to introduce shoalies into non-native waters. Studies indicate that the introduction of shoalies and spots have seriously impaired the red-eyes of the Upper Ocmulgee. Unless the best scientific data shows that it is only the spots that are harming the red-eyes, we should refrain from urging new stockings.

It's definetly a fine balance that can easily be upset. We all want to see our indigeous black bass species prosper, but just not at the expense of another species decline. The red-eye bass simply comes in under-gunned against spots and shoalies. Not to step away from the purpose of this thread, but I have felt that the both Georgia and Alabama should have be watching it's red-eye creeks with close concern..I am sure that Georgia DNR has recognized that you guy's and your group can provided valuable information in the way of fish counts, stream sampling, daily check-ups on the overall health of your watersheds...

Hmmmmm...Maybe some of the ARF membership that is located on the Alabama/Georgia line can get involved..I have to wonder when someone in Alabama follows your Idea and starts the 'Alabama Red-eye Alliance". Good luck and keep me and all posted...Oh, I am serious about the membership.
kreekn
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dblhaul wrote:
I have to wonder when someone in Alabama follows your Idea and starts the 'Alabama Red-eye Alliance". Good luck and keep me and all posted...Oh, I am serious about the membership.

This is something I have considered for some time.When the SBA started to take shape,I had another thought that maybe,the groups could be merged eventually,to become a shoal/redeye/suwanee alliance.This would likely bring more members,which would mean a stronger voice.However i certainly can see where the shoal bass,needs the most focus,because of the limited habitat and the threat of Atlanta sprawl.Wish I could win the lottery so I could devote all my time to such a project.
dblhaul
Time For An Intervention

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kreekn wrote:
dblhaul wrote:
I have to wonder when someone in Alabama follows your Idea and starts the 'Alabama Red-eye Alliance". Good luck and keep me and all posted...Oh, I am serious about the membership.

This is something I have considered for some time.When the SBA started to take shape,I had another thought that maybe,the groups could be merged eventually,to become a shoal/redeye/suwanee alliance.This would likely bring more members,which would mean a stronger voice.However i certainly can see where the shoal bass,needs the most focus,because of the limited habitat and the threat of Atlanta sprawl.Wish I could win the lottery so I could devote all my time to such a project.

What are you waiting on?....Do it.
Shoalwalker
Chub

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Dues Reply with quote

While we haven't entirely avoided a dues discussion we are not going to make that a priority until we get our 501(c)(3) status so that members and sponsors can write off their donations.

We will probably have a basic membership fee of $30.00 (but waive it for students). The next level would be donation of $30.00 and 10 hours. etc, etc, etc,

I don't think the shoalie/red eye group should merge at this time because we need to focus on our respective fish and their particular issues, but you guys are welcome to ride our coatails for awhile and copy what we do. I'll be MORE THAN HAPPY to advise you guys and lend a hand. Down the line, I could see a Native Bass Protection League and bring in the Guadalupe guys from Texas.

It becomes a passion that is perhaps better than a topwater blowup!
dblhaul
Time For An Intervention

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are on your way..Good luck. Maybe Josh can give this thread a priority designation..Hat's off to your efforts. Good job!
Shoalwalker
Chub

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I've been absent, but things have kindof come to a head around here. The Shoal Bass Alliance, Inc. is up and running (actually "crawling" is more accurate because we are still a baby). A war council has been formed to establish a riverkeeper for the shoal bass" last stronghold on the Flint.

Here is a GRF update on things.

Please follow the link to a GRF thread, and then follow the link at the beginning of the thread. The article and the thread are outstanding.

If you truly love fishing, please take some action, even if you only forward the link to a friend. WE WANT TO GET SHOAL BASS BACK IN ALABAMA!

Thank you in advance.

http://georgiariverfishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7177
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alabama River Fishing Forum Index -> Environmental/Conservation Issues All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: