Alabama River Fishing Forum Index Alabama River Fishing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Fly Tying Kit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alabama River Fishing Forum Index -> Gear Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charlie Mike
Time For An Intervention

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: New Fly Tying Kit Reply with quote

Got a fly tying kit from Cabela's Thursday. I'm not going to comment on it because I don't know enough about all this yet. However, I'm my opinion it's freakin' awesome! I had fun tying a couple of flies and can imagine myself getting a lot of use out of this kit for a long time. The wooly bugger is one I tied a couple of years ago on my cousin's kit when he got into fly fishing. The second is the first I've done with my new kit. The beginner's booklet that came with the kit had a few flies that were uninteresting so I just ended up experimenting. I had to buy reading glasses after I tied the first one. And even then, I notice a bunch of imperfections once I take the close-up macro pictures. Guess I'm going to need more magnification than reading glasses can give me. Probably didn't help that I was pulling on a bottle of Jager, either. haha. But, anyway. I'm enjoying fly tying and should probably go get a fly rod to test these ugly bastards out.

Fly Tying Kit from Cabela's

This is a fly I tied a coupla years ago

First fly with my kit

Mosquito

As a side story, I was up in Redstone Arsenal Tuesday and Wednesday and went catfishing with my boy, Luke. Here's a couple of shots. Love that kid!

Point Mallard Park Catfishing

This kid loves fish!
kreekn
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: New Fly Tying Kit Reply with quote

ChazHut wrote:
I'm enjoying fly tying and should probably go get a fly rod to test these ugly bastards out.

Come see me. I can hook you up with 3 good rigs to take you from the Smokies to the Gulf for $250.

That WB will fish all day. Bream will kill the other two. Best tip I could give right now is to watch your thread usage. It doesn't take near as much as you would think.

Cute kid.

http://jacksonkayak.com/joshtidwell/
http://www.facebook.com/BigWillsOutfitters
Charlie Mike
Time For An Intervention

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New Fly Tying Kit Reply with quote

kreekn wrote:

Cute kid.

Thanks!

I'm still planning on coming up there soon. I'll let you know when I decide on a date. Don't worry. You won't see a picture on here with me and a fly rod before then. Haha.

Most of the bulk in the flies is covering the hackle that's tied on. Now that I think about it, I should just trim it off instead of covering it with thread.
Fishbum
Time For An Intervention

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice.

No. Chuck not. Fly...or do not. There is no chuck.
fishhawk
Time For An Intervention

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rock on dude.
Purple Squirrel
Time For An Intervention

Location: "The difference between fly fishers and worm dunkers is the quality of their excuses." ~ A

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done.
You get back up in the Huntsville area holler, several of us can get you and the boy on some fishy water.
Time For An Intervention

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds great! I'll let y'all know next time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alabama River Fishing Forum Index -> Gear Reviews All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: