Alabama River Fishing Forum Index Alabama River Fishing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pigs on the Little Cypress
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alabama River Fishing Forum Index -> Environmental/Conservation Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wrazor
3lb Mountain Redeye

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:47 pm    Post subject: Pigs on the Little Cypress Reply with quote

I was riding around earlier this spring (March 12 to be exact) and stopped to look at the Little Cypress at the Jackson Road Bridge. This is what I saw on the north side of the bridge. This is just a few hundred yards above were the Little Cypress feeds into Cypress Creek.

They were fresh, the blood was still shiny red so they had been dump sometime the night before. I'm sure the coyotes, crows, vultures and opossums ate well for several weeks. Still, it was a sad to see this so close to the creek with the Florence Water Dept. intake only about a 1/2 mile downstream. Just wonder why the idiots that dumped them here had bothered to load them on their truck in the first place.

Wonder if Rock Bass like bacon?
HiCountry
Time For An Intervention

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would they dump them and not carry them to the slaughter house???
j. gravy
Time For An Intervention

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

f'n gearchuckers.

Very Happy
gmreeves
Time For An Intervention

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They may be destructive but they sure are tasty.
forkrider
Time For An Intervention

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HiCountry wrote:

My thoughts exactly, Allen. However, if you are too lazy to properly dispose of the carcass then you’re probably too lazy to put the leg-work into killing the animal. Chances are they were poisoned. I understand that farmers despise wild hogs…I would too if they were eating my livelihood. I have no problem with them killing every hog, by whatever means they see fit, that step hoof on their land. The problem here is that this loser decided to infect everyone else with his stupidity.
AUtrkyhntr
Time For An Intervention

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

j. gravy wrote:
f'n gearchuckers.

Very Happy

Due to the location of the event, I'd say there's a good chance the perpetrator was wearing a crimson cap with a script, capital "A" on it also. They're thick in that part of the country.
forkrider
Time For An Intervention

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AUtrkyhntr wrote:
Due to the location of the event, I'd say there's a good chance the perpetrator was wearing a crimson cap with a script, capital "A" on it also. They're thick in that part of the country.

You’re probably right because a guy wearing an orange and blue cap with a capital, “AU” on it would have taken them alive so he could have sexual relations with them. Laughing
jp
Time For An Intervention

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't have to still be alive.

<'))))><

forkrider
Time For An Intervention

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jp wrote:
They don't have to still be alive.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
efd840
Serious River Addict

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HiCountry wrote:

One possible answer is that (according to my wife, who works for ALDCNR) many if not most processors won't deal with pigs.

Apparently, because of some disease issues they can't (or at least think they can't) butcher pigs using the same tools and facilities they use for deer. Since their business is almost all deer, they just aren't willing to invest the time, money, and effort required to process wild pigs.

It still doesn't justify dumping them on the creekbank, but apparently getting a wild pig converted to wonderful, delicious, bacon isn't as easy as running it down to Joe Bob's discount tires, ammo, and deer processing shack.
daniel9829
Time For An Intervention

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We kill several pigs a year off of my brothers land in south Alabama and we have a processor that will take the sows but not the males. Most of the mail if they have not been cut do not taste good at all.

Voice your opinion to your Senator and Represenative.
Call 1/877-SOB-USOB
CALL 1-877-762-8762
give them you zip and they will send you to them.
AUtrkyhntr
Time For An Intervention

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

efd840 wrote:
HiCountry wrote:

One possible answer is that (according to my wife, who works for ALDCNR) many if not most processors won't deal with pigs.

Apparently, because of some disease issues they can't (or at least think they can't) butcher pigs using the same tools and facilities they use for deer. Since their business is almost all deer, they just aren't willing to invest the time, money, and effort required to process wild pigs.

It still doesn't justify dumping them on the creekbank, but apparently getting a wild pig converted to wonderful, delicious, bacon isn't as easy as running it down to Joe Bob's discount tires, ammo, and deer processing shack.

Your wife is exactly right. Pork carries bacteria like E. Coli. That's why you can't eat pork rare or even medium-rare. Beef and Venison doesn't have that problem. The reason most processors won't handle them is because you have to totally strip your equipment and sanitize the facility before processing any more beef or deer. Butchering various animals means they have to stop and clean the equipment twice instead of just doing it at the end of the day. If you've ever cleaned and sanitized a butcher shop you can appreciate that.
efd840
Serious River Addict

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AUtrkyhntr wrote:
Your wife is exactly right. Pork carries bacteria like E. Coli. That's why you can't eat pork rare or even medium-rare. Beef and Venison doesn't have that problem. The reason most processors won't handle them is because you have to totally strip your equipment and sanitize the facility before processing any more beef or deer. Butchering various animals means they have to stop and clean the equipment twice instead of just doing it at the end of the day. If you've ever cleaned and sanitized a butcher shop you can appreciate that.

For the sake of all that is good in the world, please don't say that out loud. She'll never let me hear the end of it! Wink
auhays
Time For An Intervention

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

forkrider wrote:
AUtrkyhntr wrote:

You’re probably right because a guy wearing an orange and blue cap with a capital, “AU” on it would have taken them alive so he could have sexual relations with them. Laughing

David, you are proof that even Bammers can be funny guys! We can't be certain a UA fan was responsible; now if it was a horse... Laughing
Fishbum
Time For An Intervention

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big problem with wild hogs (wild game in general) is trichinellosis & taeniasis/cysticercosis (not really common in the states) caused intestinal parasites. The larval cysts can be in the muscle tissue which must be cooked to at least 160 degrees in order to eliminate the risk. (which is also lethal to pathogenic bacteria).

There's not really any more significant microbiological food-borne illness risks in pork than in any other species.

Separation of species is maintained more from the perspective of statutory adulteration than for food safety.

No. Chuck not. Fly...or do not. There is no chuck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alabama River Fishing Forum Index -> Environmental/Conservation Issues All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: