Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Holmes Creek Trip Report 06/26/09

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The General
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Holmes Creek Trip Report 06/26/09 Reply with quote

It has been a while since I fished and even longer since I did a full day with a trip report, forgive me, and here goes:

Traveling along HWY 79 here in the panhandle, I have seen several signs lately showing a "Holmes Creek Canoe Livery" at my usual putin in the town of Vernon. Curious as to who has started a business there, I met Hal the owner/operator of the canoe service.

Hal has lived in the area all of his life and "knows the river better than anyone". He offered to give me a shuttle for my float.

The forecast called for another hot day. Temps here in the panhandle have been over, at, or near 100 degrees for weeks now. The morning fog felt like I was in the middle of a swamp. I believe I was sweating before 7am.

Here is the launch at Vernon.

My plan was for Hal to give me a shuttle and go from Hightower Springs landing (see pic below) down to Live Oak Landing. This would give me a 9.8 mile journey that I had not done before. I would be passing Strickland Landing at about the halfway point so I figured I would get two good stretches in on my long day.

For those who are simply canoeist, this is a fantastic float for the day. Numerous springs are found along the way and those who like Indian artifacts can really have a field day here on Holmes Creek.

Thanks to Hal, I made the shuttle and shoved off at about 7:30am, the morning fog was just lifting.

I figured that with the hot temps the day would be tough fishing wise. I was surprised to catch this tiny bass shortly after starting my journey. He came on a firetiger jerk bait (seen in photo) .

The action over the next several hours was slow but steady. I picked up a bass or had a hit just about every 20 minutes. All were under 2lbs and caught on an assortment of lures (buzzbaits, spinnerbaits, jerk baits, woodchoppers).

Here are a few:

Even the redbreasts were liking the old buzzer today. The redbreast might have hit the hardest of all my fish.

Scenery along the way was fantastic.

Around 1pm, everything seemed to turn off. The fish weren't hitting anything. I had a long paddle and didn't have time to slow down and fish plastics along the bottom in the deeper holes (at least that is my excuse).

You know it is a bad sign when you see a moth on the water struggling for over 5 minutes with nothing trying to eat it. This moth fluttered on top of the water for what seemed like an eternity before finally making it safely to the bank. It didn't give me a whole lot of confidence.

All told, I caught around 7 bass and had a great time. Hal is turning into a fantastic friend and I'm thankful to have a shuttle driver all the time only 10 minutes from my house. I'll be doing a write up later on what his business has to offer.

Tight Lines,
The General
Pip
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report General! Those bass are fat...look like little butterballs! It's cool to have a livery so close.

Later...stay cool!

Phillip
BlackwaterBill
Big Ol' Shellcracker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to go general. Scout that new water for when I came by your house.
Old Mossyback

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty water, your fortunate to have it so close to home.
mack in n.c.
Creek Chub

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: permits Reply with quote

nice!!!,........1 question..the sign says you have to have a permit to fish.....is this a daily permit???.................thnaks mack
BlackwaterBill
Big Ol' Shellcracker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mack

I called the number on the sign and they are only open 8-5.EDT I am guessing that would be use the grounds. I don't think you need a permit to use the ramp. I know the permit would just be for that Hightower area. You can get Florida fishinglicense on line ofr various lengths of time. Mine is one year and it cost $51 for freshwater only. You can get a 7 day for about $20 I think.

If I remember I will call them when they are open and ask.

Blackwater
JakeL
Creek Chub

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For those who are simply canoeist, this is a fantastic float for the day. Numerous springs are found along the way and those who like Indian artifacts can really have a field day here on Holmes Creek.

Sounds like Holmes Creek River is a great find off the beaten track. Canoeing is a hobby of mine - going to see if I can get out there this summer. Another fishing day trip that we do every spring is off the Long Island shore. Generally you will need to take a New York boaters safety course first. We book a charter through our hotel and I recommend both the Broadway Plaza Hotel New York and the Club Quarters Midtown Times Square concierge services which are free of charge. Thanks for the trip report,

Last edited by JakeL on Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:03 am; edited 2 times in total
rossjj
Old Mossyback

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool Todd, nice report. wish I had more to report lately. the santa fe has been really fussy lately. even cheated on you guys and paddled a lake, no luck there I'll keep at it get get you guys a decent report. Aren't the bass supposed to be spawning by now???
cyncyn
Creek Chub

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rossjj wrote:
cool Todd, nice report. wish I had more to report lately. the santa fe has been really fussy lately. even cheated on you guys and paddled a lake, no luck there I'll keep at it get get you guys a decent report. Aren't the bass supposed to be spawning by now???[size=50]Downtown Vegas Hotels Rio Las Vegas[/size]

They are spawning now...
I can tell you that because I saw with my own eyes!

Cheers!

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> River Bassin' Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: