Mississippi River Fishing Forum Index Mississippi River Fishing
Dedicated to Those Who Fish Mississippi's Rivers and Streams (and those who want to but haven't yet)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bayou Pierre 05/28

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mississippi River Fishing Forum Index -> River Bassin' Trip Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
revots

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 3:50 am    Post subject: Bayou Pierre 05/28 Reply with quote

You will be happy to know that my 2nd trip of the year went much better. No disasters. The put in was pretty decent. It was work to paddle up the first half mile or so. The water was shallow and a strong current. I had to drag the yak for several hunderd yards. One thing that kind of scared me the first couple of times it happened was stepping in to quick sand for lack of a better word. As I was dragging the yak and would step in some sand and sink to over my knees. I did catch three fish and hooked two others. Deer flies like to ate me alive and the knats were bothersome. The BP is a pretty little stream. Being a geologist I had a ball sifting throught the gravel bars. The BP is a well known rock collecting site. People come from all over the country to collect agates, cornelian, fossils ect. I found several nice agates.
[img]

[/img]
Jump n Fish

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pics, those rock formations are cool too. Is that a manta ray I see in the background.
revots

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good eyes, you know your kayaks.
RedHeron
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. The shallow water and relatively high gradient make paddle-ups brutal. You probably picked the prettiest place to paddle up from, though.

BP has quicksand eeeeverywhere this time of year. I've gone up to my thigh once, but 99% of the time, it's less than shin-deep. The worst part is pulling your bare legs out of that gravel-ly quicksand. I've lost many a shoe to the sands of BP. Later in the summer, when rain gets scarce, the sand will compact and the quicksand will get shallower until it's almost gone.
revots

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at Carter Hill first. It was really grown up on the north end. As I understand it, the south end is private property.
RedHeron
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...people used to access it there on the south side, but I don't know if the owners ran them off or if it just got too grown up (since it doesn't appear the county maintains any sort of right-of-way there anymore). It's shallow, swift and smaller there anyway. But if you ever want to access it there, I kinda know the landowners...so maybe I can vouch for you.
Once it quits raining and the water levels drop, I'd stay downstream of White Oak, though.
Creekstalker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, those are cool-looking rocks. Nice spots too!

CS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mississippi River Fishing Forum Index -> River Bassin' Trip Reports All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: