North Carolina River Fishing Forum Index North Carolina River Fishing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Haw River float on 9/3/09

Post new topic   Reply to topic    North Carolina River Fishing Forum Index -> Mountain and Piedmont Rivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mckeon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Haw River float on 9/3/09 Reply with quote

A buddy (Kurt) and I fished the Haw above the 15-501 dam on Thursday from about 5 - 8 pm. We landed one bass (about a pound) and got a few others to the boat but did not land them - and of course those were bigger...I think they call that a "professional release." Also got loads of sunfish.

Our best action continues to come from Mepps Aglia spinners (gold blade, brown tail) and rubber lizards. Yes, I know they are plastic, but rubber is what Grandpa taught me so that's what I call them. Kurt was killing the big sunnies with a 6 inch lizard and a huge 3/0 hook - awesome! We were "lipping" the sunnies to get the hook out - totally cool!

Another buddy no longer fishes with me because I don't focus on bass. I gave him a few more chances - now he's dead to me. He would rather fish for 3 hours and catch 3 bass, then fish the same amount of time and catch 50 sunnies. That just ain't right, MAN!!! Any fish that takes a lizard on a 3/0 hook is worth catching in my book.

Going again tonight, I'll let you know how it goes.

Some of you may remember me posting back in 2007 when I joined this site about how cool I found river fishing to be compared to pond or lake fishing. Since then I have sold my "lake" boat, bought a small kayak, still have my canoe, and am still looking for the perfect used fishing kayak. I am loving this sport/activity and if anyone in the Pittsboro area needs a fishing buddy who is wiling to catch sunnies all day long with an occasional "real fish" then just let me know. Maybe you can even get me catching more bass - nothing wrong with that either!!

Mike
jimsnores

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Big Mouth Sunnies Reply with quote

When you say sunnies, are they redbreast sunfish or multiple species? They must be pretty big ones to consistently get hooked on that tackle.
mckeon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vast majority are redbreast - but we do catch some other types - not sure what they are. I'll take pictures next time.
SmallieSam

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good deal mckeon. Redbreast are a hoot.
jbcook

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those redbreast are crazy. I catch them around here on bass tackle too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    North Carolina River Fishing Forum Index -> Mountain and Piedmont Rivers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: