River weekend.

Here's the place to discuss anything related to South Carolina, rivers, or fishing! This is the busiest part of the board, so if you don't know where to go or need a quick answer, try here first.

Moderator: BasserDrew

River weekend.

Postby SumterBasser » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:54 am

I am trying to get a few guys together for a wekend river trip using canoes or kayaks. We would like to fish for smallies on this trip. I would appreciate any help on what we need to do and where to go.
We would like to end up in Columbia on Saturday afternoon or Sunday afternoon.
We need a start point (starting mid day to late Friday).
What are the rules if any for staying on the riverbanks.
Where can we park our vehicals (at both points) where they would be safe.
Are there any dangerous areas under normal conditions.
Feel free to offer any other info needed for this trip.

Thanks
SumterBasser
Momma always said fishing was like a box of chocolates.
You never know what your going to catch!!!
SumterBasser

Postby BlackwaterBill » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:03 pm

I once did the trip from Hwy 213 public access under the bridge. We left a vehicle there from Friday till Sunday. We had previously left a vehicle at Harbison Forest. You have call them and file a trip plan and they will give you a loke code so you can open the gates all the way back to the canoe launch. It is safe to leave a vehicle there.

That is a 17 mile float. All the property on both sides of the river is private. We found some sand spits to camp on that worked out. We had 3 yaks and a Canoe and used one tent.

We took off late on friday an dcamped near the put in then camped again up from Bookman Island. On Sunday we made Harbison with plenty of light.

We caught smallies (concentrate on the shoals) and largies. We caught and released lots of fish, mostly largies, but a significant number of smallies. It was in May when w edid the float. The guage at Alston should be between 3.5 an d5 to try that trip. All other access in the section is private. There is no entry or exit below Harbison to the Diversion Dam in Columbia.

Hope this helps.
"I am by practice and predilection a top-water man. How I love to hear a rampaging bass wallop a capering surface plug!" Havilah Babcock from Monafilment Hates People
BlackwaterBill

Postby SumterBasser » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:22 pm

Thanks for the info.
Now it's put up or shut up time for the boys.
any other site would be welcome.
Momma always said fishing was like a box of chocolates.
You never know what your going to catch!!!
SumterBasser

Postby BlackwaterBill » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:35 pm

I have not done the float but I have heard of of a float from a ramp where Chester Co/Fairfield Co lines come to the river. On the Gazateer the road is called Stone Rd that goes down to the ramp from Hwy 72 on the east side. That flaot goes down to Shelton where there is a canoe launch on the east side as well. Then from there the float goes down to the bridge on Hwy 34. Like I say I haven't seen it but know some who have. Two good days of floating. bound to be somewhere to camp in that much river.
"I am by practice and predilection a top-water man. How I love to hear a rampaging bass wallop a capering surface plug!" Havilah Babcock from Monafilment Hates People
BlackwaterBill

Postby Creekstalker » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:54 pm

Sounds like a fun trip Sumter! Take a camera and let us know (and see!) how things worked out!

CS
Creekstalker
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion