Hello Carolina River Fishermen (and women)

Here's the place to discuss anything related to South Carolina, rivers, or fishing! This is the busiest part of the board, so if you don't know where to go or need a quick answer, try here first.

Moderator: BasserDrew

Hello Carolina River Fishermen (and women)

Postby hitek_rednek » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:19 am

So here I am at my second Carolina river fishing board, and still can't find anyone that fishes below the lock and dam on the Savanna. I live in Jackson, SC, and I'm about 5 miles from the boat landing, so I'm in the water quite a bit. Got a 1970 14' fiberglass (title says homemade) tri-hull with an 87 Merc 25hp on it. No speed demon, but great on the river and does what I need. Fish for anything that will bite basically. Been having some trouble with smallies and largemouth this year on the river. I'm throwing everything but the pole at them and having minimal luck. I am not used to fishing in moving water for bass though, normally ponds and lakes...this is my first year on the river.

Anyone fish down this way? I usually put in at the Aiken County boat landing in Jackson and go down river as far as Shell Bluff, and up river as far as the mouth of Hollow Creek. Also, anyone feel like telling me where they hid all the bass this year?

Oh and by the way, yep, another computer geek here. Been in IT for over 10 years now.

-H
hitek_rednek

Postby hitek_rednek » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:23 am

Oops, thought this was going to go in the "New Members...." thread. Mods feel free to move it if needed.
hitek_rednek

Postby Creekstalker » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:50 am

No problem hitek and welcome! Can't say I've got much expertise on the Savannah, but I do know there are some whoppers in there. All I can suggest is to keep chuckin' different baits until you find something they like.

CS
Creekstalker
Site Admin

Postby hitek_rednek » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:45 am

Yep, that's what I've been doing. Thought I was onto something for a minute. Someone told me that Pumpkinseed lizards on the rock banks were doing good. Pulled in a 4lb and a 2lb within 30 minutes, and haven't hooked another one on them since.

The catfish bite has been very good, but believe it or not, on crickets. I've caught more big cats this year on crickets than on any other bait. A buddy pulled in a 38lb about a week ago among sever other 10+lb, all caught on crickets fishing in the cuts.

Bream are hammering like always....various sizes, so far biggest has been maybe a pound, pound and a half.

Stripers have been caught on live bream, off a drop near the fast water...they have been few and far between though.

That's about all I got for the Savannah river downstream fishing report.

-H
hitek_rednek

Postby BlackwaterBill » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:44 pm

Welcome, reared in Barnwell County and have live in Aiken County several times. Put in at Siver Bluff a lot and the Jackson Boat Club in the old days. Have fished from Hollow Creek to Shell Bluff myself. I would try top water bait this time of year. Devil's Horse, Woodchopper, Buzzbaits on the wood both sides of a log or all around a root ball. If that didn't work I would go next to spinner bait then down to crank bait and finally bump bottom with plastic if notheing else worked. Topwater ought to produce if you fish it close to the wood.
"I am by practice and predilection a top-water man. How I love to hear a rampaging bass wallop a capering surface plug!" Havilah Babcock from Monafilment Hates People
BlackwaterBill

Postby hitek_rednek » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:19 am

Thanks for the info, I will give it a shot. Haven't done a lot of top water stuff, so that may be the ticket.

Had some fun last night though, found a spot where we caught a crappie, a catfish, and the biggest bream of the year so far. All within a 20 yard area. That's why I love the river.

Picture doesn't really do justice to the size of the fish, but this was a monster bream.

hitek_rednek

Postby BlackwaterBill » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:42 am

When in the Savannah river, and pitching crickets, its like what Forrest Gump said. mama Says life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get, My daddy and I would leave Little Hell with 3 -4 00 crickets and come back with several species from bass up to 3-4 lbs, catfish, crappie large & small, and a ton of pan fish of every variety. All on crickets.
"I am by practice and predilection a top-water man. How I love to hear a rampaging bass wallop a capering surface plug!" Havilah Babcock from Monafilment Hates People
BlackwaterBill

Postby hitek_rednek » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:46 am

Yeah, I've never been a cricket person really. My buddy (the one in the picture) is a bigtime bream guy, so that's what he primarily uses. I've never even heard of catching cats on crickets until recently.
hitek_rednek

Return to General Discussion