Trip report 3.14-3.15 - Please don't hate me...

Believe it or not, other states have rivers with fish in them, too! Discuss other folks' fishing holes here!

Moderator: BasserDrew

Trip report 3.14-3.15 - Please don't hate me...

Postby BasserDrew » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:07 pm

Please dont hate me

I had two of my best days of fishing ever and they were right in a row. I think at final count I caught 14 fish that weighed at or over 3lbs and 14oz. It was like something out of a dream.

Day 1: 3.14.08

Like you might have seen in SSF's post, he, Seminole Steve and I hit the water in search of some shoalies. Sometimes you just hit all the elements right and today was one of those days. The weather was weird with clouds and light rain and the water was on the rise as well. These things combined with the warm weather the previous week that had warmed the water and the fact that it is spring and the fish are getting active made it a deadly combination.

As you may have seen in SSF's post, Steve caught his personal best 4-14 shoalie early on. Here he is fighting it in. Way to go, Steve!

Then, I finally was able to get into a big one as well. This was a 4-12 chunk of a shoalie. It missed my spinnerbait so I immediately threw back in with a soft plastic and twitched it like it was dying and she came up right at me near the boat and swallowed it whole! The fight was on!

2 pics

A little while later I caught this 4-0

Then came the 5-7 as mentioned in SSF's post. She slammed a spinnerbait.

A short while later I was fortunate to also catch this spot that weighed 3-14. I believe this is my personal best spot.

Then, I got into another 3-14, but this one was a shoalie.

Already feeling like I had won the lottery I pressed on for more big fish since we still had a few hours left. Well, I guess I pressed on the right button because this 5-0 was next on the end of the line.

What a day for the bigguns. 5 fish over 3-14 on this day and SSF and Seminole Steve also landed several in that range as evidenced by SSF's report. We had a blast the entire day. You couldnt ask for two better float partners and it was cool having a biologist right there to discuss interesting theories and topics.

I did say I caught 14 over 3-14 in two days and if you do the math this is the part where you realize that I somehow (its beyond me) caught 8 fish that big on day 2.

Day 2: 3.15.08

PawPaw, Creekstalker and I hit the water in search of some more green and gold thighs. You may have seen the ones that PawPaw caught in his post and I am sure that once Creekstalker gets some time he might show us some of his fish as well.

Ok, here we go....right off the bat this mega LM nailed my spinnerbait in the shoals! I was right by creekstalker and we had both fished the pool but even though I was facing downstream away from the pool I cast way back behind me and after a couple cranks the fish nailed it and spun my yak perpendicular with the current and almost flipped me right over! It turned me all the way around and put on quite a show for me and CS with a nice jump.

6-5 largemouth

A short while later I was able to land a 3-15 and 4-7 on consecutive casts!

3-15

4-7 - sorry for poor pic quality on this one. I was in a bad spot.

Then, a short while later I was right near Creekstalked again and landed this 4-4.

Then, I was fishing just upstream of PawPaw and this beaut hit on a short rope right out from under a rock. 4-5

Then, I got into this 3-15

Just after the 3-15 came this little redeye.

Then, I caught his older brother that weighed a whopping 1-10. Not bad for a redeye. You can see why too with a belly like that.

Ok, then the action continued down the river where I landed another 4-5.

At this point the weather had been real weird all day with some sun, wind and clouds but no dreaded thunderstorms. That was all about to change though. It was about 6:00 and the dark clouds were getting close and it was looking immenent that we were going to get it. However, I had to hit one of my favorite little spots before the storm came so I paddled over to it quickly and got set to make my first cast. A few drops started to fall and then I saw some lightning. Well, I just had to make one last cast here before I booked it downriver so I did and after landing a 6-5 on my first cast I was able to land this 5-4 shoalie on my last cast with the rain and thunder really just starting to crank up. I set up and took 2 pics as quick as I could so they didnt turn out that good cause the lens was foggy and wet but hey at least I was able to get outta there alive!

PawPaw and I almost had our yaks loaded back up in time but we just didnt make it. It began to hail on us. It started innocently enough but then it started to hurt pretty bad and then wind was like nothing else. Th hail started to get marble size and some was even a little smaller than pinp pong balls so we got in my truck and prayed that a tornado was not about to pick the truck up. It was something PawPaw and I will never forget.

What has shoalieman always said about big fish and weird weather? I've always agreed and in looking back at some of the storms in N. Ga I probably never would have fished cause those cells were dangerous and not worth risking my life. But, this time it worked out and we all made it out safe and sound.

What a day. Anyway, again I had a couple great float partners and as always had a good time getting away from reality. Thanks again to PawPaw for putting me up at his house for a night.
BasserDrew
Site Admin

Return to Out-of-State Reports and Discussion