Shoal Bass Research - trip report 4.10.08

Believe it or not, other states have rivers with fish in them, too! Discuss other folks' fishing holes here!

Moderator: BasserDrew

Shoal Bass Research - trip report 4.10.08

Postby BasserDrew » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:59 pm

Shoal Bass Research

Well, after catching the 7-2 last week and seeing how fat all these fish are I knew we only had about a week or two left of fat pre-spawn fish. First thing I did is call human resources where I work and ask them how many vacation days I have used since I started working here in SC two years ago. Well, turns out I have never used one and have accrued 25 days. So, I called my boss and since I had all my work bases covered for Thursday I took it off along with Friday that I already had off due to some comp time. I decided to head to the river to do some "shoal bass research" :lol:

Thanks again to Seminole Steve and Shoalie Tracker for the hat they gave me for taking them fishing and as a congrats for the 7-2. I love that hat!

They begin as just little eggs

Then, they grow to eat all sorts of things including...

Green Pumpkin tadpoles

and grasshoppers

and little fish like this catfish I posted in an earlier report.

and buzzbaits...lol. :lol:

The research of the adult species began with this 4-4

Then, I was blessed with a 4-13 shoalie that had eggs pushing out of her (as shown in the first pic). Many of their fins were all torn and tattered from fanning beds.

Then in further examination of the adult species I observed this 4-6. I found her to be a healthy specimen.

Finally the research ended with a 5-1 adult specimen.

They are a vibrant fish full of life and fertility right now - and an appetite. Even still, like everything, there will be death and something will eat them - like this vulture I saw tearing apart this dead gar.

Shoal bass research sure is fun, huh shoalie tracker and seminole steve? :lol:
BasserDrew
Site Admin

Return to Out-of-State Reports and Discussion