New River, VA on 8-9

Believe it or not, other states have rivers with fish in them, too! Discuss other folks' fishing holes here!

Moderator: BasserDrew

New River, VA on 8-9

Postby frankinnc » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:18 pm

Hey TarDevil, check out this Musky that my 'ol fishing buddy caught yesterday. We were smallie fishing but he loves them and he had a metal leader on with his custom spinnerbait. Second cast of the day and bingo. We were just upstream from where you, Derek and I floated a while back.

Didn't weigh or measure it.....just "gripped" it quickly for a quick snap since it had fought so hard. After a quick revive, he/she swam off headed back to the rock where he/she came from. From the pic you can see that the fish had some kind of deformed spinal thing going on but seemed pretty healthy otherwise.

We also caught a couple of GOOD smallies too during the day, but they were sort of over shadowed by this heart pumper first thing. We had two more Musky follows but couldn't connect. One was bigger than the one in the pic.
frankinnc

Postby BasserDrew » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:46 pm

That's awesome man! I want to get me a musky one day.
BasserDrew
Site Admin

Postby Dux-n-Dawgs » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:06 am

I fished the New for the first time last year and had a ball. We caught some nice smalljaws, but never did hook up with a ToothyCritter. They did tell me there were some nice ones in there like that one.
Dux-n-Dawgs

Postby derekp » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:32 pm

I want to go back so bad, it hurts. :cry:
derekp

Postby frankinnc » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:23 am

Derek, all you gotta do is give me a yell and we'll do it.

I'm doing a wade tomorrow on the upper New in the Independence, VA area. Three weeks ago I saw a Musky just slightly larger than the one TarDevil caught run a white sucker up on a rock. My partner went over and pushed the sucker back in the water after about 5 minutes. We were wading a stretch of shoals and we saw that Musky chasing fish several times. He was after the suckers BIG time.

Fish were eating some kind of little white bugs/flies on top.....most always in the channel flow. I watched a couple of larger white suckers eating them on top. Pretty funny. Since their mouths are on the bottom of their "face", they had to actually be upside down (or at least on their side) when they took the bugs off top. Mr. Musky was obviously cashing in on it.

Suckers are the favorite food of the Musky.
frankinnc

Postby Clay Walters » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:21 am

Good gosh amight! THAT would be one heck of a tussle.

Years ago I read an article that dubbed them the "Fish of a Thousand Casts" because they supposedly weren't as prone to strike as their cousin the northern pike.

Are there enough of them in there for a fella to expect a hit with some frequency? I know the French Broad has them yet I've yet to have one take a swipe at anything I was tossing (that I know of). But it would sure spice things up a bunch!

That just has to be fun,

Clay
Clay Walters

Postby TarDevil » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:43 pm

Mine was just a TINY bit smaller than that, don't you think? :D

Nice! Now I know why you guys use that thingy that grabs the jaw. Not because of the teeth... but because you can't hang onto those slimy fish!

Yeah, I'm ready to go back and get me anudder 'un. Frank, just lemme get a couple of paychecks to catch up!
TarDevil

Postby derekp » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:34 pm

I'll tie up some Musky flies next week.

I imagine September would be a good time with school back in session and all those school related weekend activities keeping some of the masses off my rivers.
derekp

Postby frankinnc » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:47 am

Hi Clay. I saw that Carl bought another boat from you. Man he has a nice flotilla of cats from you. Great workmanship on them sir.

There are a LOT of muskies in the New River. They are caught (well hung for a brief fight) by a lot of guys fishing for smallies. But to really target them you need to be prepared. That said, I personally rarely target them. But when I do, I have a 7.5' flipping stick with a baitcaster loaded with 30 lb. braid that I use. And you'd want a metal leader of some type....I personally like a titanium leader. Also, you're going to be throwing big lures. Big in-line bucktail spinners are popular and I like the double colorado blade bulging bucktails. Some like to use spinnerbaits as big as 1.5-2 oz, but the spinnerbait that Sam caught the musky above on was a 1/2 oz short arm spinnerbait known as a puppydog that he put his own custom skirt and blade on. BIG curly tail grubs can be good and Joe Williams with the VDGIF who is the biologist responsible for the New River and James River musky management uses a BIG hard jerkbait that has a big curly tail on it. He does well with it.

Anyway Clay.....they are called the fish of a thousand casts, but the population on the New is gonna yield you one LONG before that if you focus on them. Your best bet when targeting them is to focus on the stretch of slower water just after some big shoals/falls. If this area has big boulders and even better some timber in it and deadfalls along the bank.......you're in the hunt then.

It is truly unfortunate that there are folks that think muskies ruin the smallmouth population on a river. If you review the research and talk with biologist that work with musky management, you'll find that if you have a river, or lake, with a healthy musky population, you'll have a healthy smallie population as well. Green bass population too if applicable. I talked to a catfisherman one evening as I was getting off the river and he told me that they catch them at night when catfishing and they just "cut their throats and let them drift." Sad.

Anyway, TarDevil......the grip is good for help with teeth AND slime. LOL!! And Derek, September will be good.......and TD should have a couple paychecks caught up by then. Lets work on it.
frankinnc

Postby Clay Walters » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:28 am

Frank,

Thanks for the details! While not a "purist" I do mostly fly fish. I wonder if the likelihood of hanging into a muskie is high enough to warrant fishing with a short wire leader at the end of the tippet.

There's one place I've been where the pickerel can be a nuisance if you don't use one. ( I haven't enjoyed the problem myself....yet.)

But I have enough interest in tagging a muskie that should I ever get up your way I think my 7wt will be rigged with flashy streamers and a wire leader. Will have to risk being undergunned with my 5wt for the topwater.

Thanks for the compliments on the boats. I'm back to just a PAC 1000 now. While its not nearly as nice on the stream I can break it down and hang the tubes from the ceiling and the frame on the wall in my garage. Carl is one fine fellow and he has a better set up to store them and it seems the rivers he floats and his stature make the more robust boat desirable. I'm happy he wound up with them.

As Derek has said; a fella could really use a separate barn full of all the boats best suited to the task at hand. But, I'm short on barns. :lol:

Regards,

Clay
Clay Walters

Postby TarDevil » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:09 pm

Clay Walters wrote:I wonder if the likelihood of hanging into a muskie is high enough to warrant fishing with a short wire leader at the end of the tippet.

I already have a wire tippet leader stored in my Orvis reel case for my return trip! Gonna tie a few more segmented flys, too!

You guys about ready??
TarDevil

Return to Out-of-State Reports and Discussion