Some place a wee bit warmer but still a river!

Believe it or not, other states have rivers with fish in them, too! Discuss other folks' fishing holes here!

Moderator: BasserDrew

Some place a wee bit warmer but still a river!

Postby redfishguide » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:19 pm

Hey Derek,

I think "Ole Hooker" needs to find a place like this where it's nice and warm this time of year. Whatta ya think?

Jack
redfishguide

Postby derekp » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:47 pm

Ya know, last Sunday about this same time, me and you were somewhere in your boat in some small creek and it was hot like 80F but for some reason, I just can't remember. I do remember you saying "This isn't Kansas anymore Toto!"

Yes, I do believe Ol'Hooker would find this place much warmer.

Where were we? Can anybody help us? I do remember there were aligators and mangrove trees...

derekp

Postby redfishguide » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:43 pm

Ya know Derek it was still a River. Matter fact as I recall it was the North River though that doesn't make a lot of sense since we were pretty far south. I still can't believe we made it through there. It looks like we came out of the mangroves. Heck we even picked up some remanants (mangroves) from the voyage. Also recall there was supposed to be Bass in this river. Hmmmmm!

I think this is turning into a trip report on a river though a wee bit further south then where we usually fish. :lol:

Jack

PS I betcha "Tar Devils" canoe would have made it a bit further, maybe actually reached them damn old Bass.
redfishguide

Postby derekp » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:33 pm

I don't remember catching any bass but I did catch this funny looking fish with yellow fins and a black line down each side of the fish.

I'll show the pic when I get my film developed. 8)

Hey TD, Jack insisted on sleeping in his own tent. Said something about not catching broncitis!
derekp

Postby redfishguide » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:09 pm

Speaking of camp, I just so happen to have a pic. Twas pretty comfortable even if Boyscout did manage to forget a couple of items. :roll:

I'll keep looking around and maybe I can find a pic of that wierd looking fish with the stripe.

Jack

redfishguide

Postby Ole Hooker » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:24 pm

Hey Redfishguide. I'll trade places with you! I'm getting the urge to fish for anything. I have caught the funny looking fish with the black lines and yellow finns. I was at a river near Ft Myers. I love their first move, 3 to 4 ft out of the water. Looking forward to seeing everyone down there soon. Great Pics!
Ole Hooker

Postby redfishguide » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:23 pm

[quote="Ole Hooker"]Hey Redfishguide. I'll trade places with you! I'm getting the urge to fish for anything. I have caught the funny looking fish with the black lines and yellow finns.[end quote]

Ole Hooker I don't think I'll be swapping with you any time soon. Your water looks a tad to hard for my boat besides I'm starting to enjoy catching them odd yellow fish with the stripe. Btw I think they call them "Snoooks". They kept getting in the way when we were trying to hook ole Largemouth. I found a picture of the one Derek caught on one of his deceivers. Feisty little guy!

I think we have some more for tomorrow.
Jack
redfishguide

Postby derekp » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:43 am

Dang Jack, at least you could have shown my really big one...

derekp

Postby redfishguide » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:24 pm

Wait a minute I know you had a bigger one maybe this is it.

Damn now I'm not sure!!

Jack
redfishguide

Postby Dux-n-Dawgs » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:25 am

derekp wrote:Where were we? Can anybody help us?

I got a pretty good idea I know where ya'll were ... maybe not exact area, but atleast a 10 mile radius :wink: Given it's where RFG and I talked about on the Broad trip.
Dux-n-Dawgs

Postby redfishguide » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:53 pm

Let's see more of this story is coming back to me. I do remember "Boyscout" tying on that chartreuse and white deceiver and me thinking that aint gonna work. Then he meticulously trimmed some of the bucktail just so, until he was satisfied. I'm still thinking naa that still aint gonna work. Yeah right!!!

I went looking for a new mangrove bank to fish and we started fishing. I'm poling and "Boyscout" starts casting. Two three maybe four casts later he throw's one across the point near the start of a bank. I remembered saying to always hit the points. Then damn all hell breaks loose and "Boyscout" is muttering some kind of XXOO*** (expletitive) and a big whole appears where that (not gonna work) deceiver used to live. I'm franticly back poling the boat away from the threatening mangroves and he's still muttering about burning his fingers on the line while his 8 weight looked like it was gonna surrender. Then yikes this fish starts attacking the boat. Seems he couldn't reach the cover anymore so he more likely a she decided to go for the boat. I almost couldn't back pole fast enough.

Now you think we're going to lose this fish but y'all have to wait till I look around and see if I can find any photo evidence of the climax.

Give me a minute.

Jack
redfishguide

Postby redfishguide » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:07 pm

Yeah we got her in the boat for a photo op and gentle release and here she is.

Now I have to add here that I have been chasing Snook around the everglades for quite awhile and while I have caught bigger ones on conventional tackle this one tops my all time best fly rod fish.

Kudos to "Boyscout" for a job well done.

And theres still more to come. Please be patient for this old guides mind is a wee bit addled.

Jack :lol:
redfishguide

Postby TygerRiverWalker » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:48 pm

That would be as the Indians called it "The River of Grass". We used to call those little bass with racing stripes "sneaks". There is a bona fide Snook there too! Nice fish D, I told you you would love it!
TRW
TygerRiverWalker

Postby BasserDrew » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:07 pm

Great report fellas, looks like a blast! Next, you guys should try and join me to the Amazon in June!

http://amazonexpeditions.com/Downloads/ ... onTrip.pdf
BasserDrew
Site Admin

Postby derekp » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:25 pm

Drew, that Amazon trip sounds like lots of fun. I know you are going to tear them up just DON'T DRINK THE WATER! I saw a Larry Dahlberg show where he was chasing tarpon in South America and caught a really bad stomach bug. I think he said he lost like 20 lbs in like 2 weeks.

I'd love to go but problem is, done spent my "fishing" vacation days. Rest belong to family.

Oh wait...I found a picture of Jack attached to some big sea monster...

This one had a bronze and red tinge to it.

derekp

Next

Return to Out-of-State Reports and Discussion