Savannah River Shoals

The long rod ain't just for trout, you know! Discuss chasing bass and bream on the fly right here!

Moderator: BasserDrew

Savannah River Shoals

Postby Markr » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:46 pm

Has anyone tried fly fishing the shoals on the Savannah River just up from North Augusta?
Markr

Re: Savannah River Shoals

Postby BlackwaterBill » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:57 pm

I have fly fished those shoals a good bit recently. Caught a 28 inch striper on a 6 wt, man was that fun. Also Nokinrocks from GRF caught about a 4 lb largie and the biggest jack I have seen come out of the Savannah River. We all cuaght some smallies and River Pirate caught a Bartram Bass that was a certified Bartram by a fishery biologist. The Bartram is unique to that drianage.

Rockfish from Savannah Shoals Caught on 6 wt.

Big Jack from Savannah river Shoals

Savannah River Shoals Smallie
"I am by practice and predilection a top-water man. How I love to hear a rampaging bass wallop a capering surface plug!" Havilah Babcock from Monafilment Hates People
BlackwaterBill

Postby backyard » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:43 pm

Of all the fish that i have caught, i have never caught a Striped Bass. ( Rock fish ) The thing about it is i use to live a mile from Lake Marion for years.
backyard

Postby shoalieman » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:13 pm

I fished there one time about 3 years ago and could only manage about 3 smaller sized LMs-the fish just weren't hitting much that day. However, it is one beautiful place to float & fish and I'll be back again.
shoalieman

Postby BlackwaterBill » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:44 pm

There's plenty of rockfish in the Congree/Broad and Saluda Rivers. Floated from tailrace of Lake Greenwood about 8 miles downstream and caught a number of rockfish on the way. Caught mostly small ones 2 lbs or so but saw some lunkers in the water.
"I am by practice and predilection a top-water man. How I love to hear a rampaging bass wallop a capering surface plug!" Havilah Babcock from Monafilment Hates People
BlackwaterBill

Return to Fly Fishing Forum