Striper on a fly rod

The long rod ain't just for trout, you know! Discuss chasing bass and bream on the fly right here!

Moderator: BasserDrew

Striper on a fly rod

Postby MisterB82384 » Tue May 29, 2007 10:30 am

Has anyone on here done any striper fishing on the fly?
I have an 8 wt I am thinking about taking out to Saluda r. today. Ill probably be trying just some standard Clouser minnows. Ill see what I can do, but if anyone is interested in going sometime please let me know!
-Brenton
MisterB82384

Postby BasserDrew » Tue May 29, 2007 3:34 pm

Ya know, there are some guys on the GA site that fly fish for them and they have a blast doing it. I know the Saluda above Lake Murray is well known for stripers and I saw some nice ones in the water when I fished it that one time. I bet that would be some amazing fight on a fly rod. I sure hope you get into some. Check out this website for more information on catching striped bass on a fly rod. Kent is a great fly fisherman and especially good at getting stripers to take them. What about the Saluda below Murray? I guess there are some stripers there too, right?

http://www.flyfishga.com/
BasserDrew
Site Admin

Postby MisterB82384 » Tue May 29, 2007 5:07 pm

Yes. ...as far as I know. I have heard there are a good deal of them below the dam, but still not as much as in the Congaree. I went there today, under the Gervais street bridge and used some Clousers (chart./ white, and light bluish-silver and white with silver, black and pearl krystal flash. (tied em this morning so i remember everything ha ha) and a red and white seaducer. ...had no luck as was predicted by the fellas at Barron's because the water has been so low. They said theyve been really hard to find lately and not many have been doing well with them. The water however, felt awesome! ..bath water compared to the trout waters of the Lower Saluda that I have been frequenting lately.

Anyone have any suggestions or general spots I should try??
MisterB82384

Postby MisterB82384 » Tue May 29, 2007 5:11 pm

Daaaamn Drew,
I was looking at your pics from the link "07 big fish" ...I REALLY need to come fishing with you. ha ha
MisterB82384

Postby BasserDrew » Tue May 29, 2007 7:40 pm

Yea, I figured they were in the Congaree too. Don't worry, we'll get out there soon enough. I still want to go for some reds too! All this talk of different rivers and fish we need to fish for reminds me of what SSF (from the GA site) and I always say to each other - "So much water, so little time"
BasserDrew
Site Admin

Postby MisterB82384 » Tue May 29, 2007 8:36 pm

ha ha truer words were never spoken my friend. But yea we definitely should get something together soon. Fishing is basically all I am doing right now bc Im still waiting to hear from the realtor/ find some industrial space to set up my shop to make the guitar slides. ...If only this was going to last forever, but alas, theres reality.
So for now, if youre free and can come over to Columbia (or have somewhere better in mind) any time this week or next, let me know and I should be able to go...
MisterB82384

Strippers on the fly

Postby derekp » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:55 pm

MisterB,

I have caught stripers on a fly in the Saluda right below the Greenwood Dam (known as Buzzard's Roost) and also above Lake Greenwood near Hwy 25.

Biggest one I have caught has been only 3+ lbs as I am just getting into this species of fish. We have had 30+ fish days. That is 30+ per fisherman.

I use an 8 wt and have caught them on olive wooly buggers, chart/white Clousers, and various colored Deceivers. If you can find them when they are biting, flies work great and they don't really seem to care what pattern but they can be picky about size and sometimes you have to get the fly right down to them.

Some of the holes and runs I fish are 10'+ deep and many times they will not come up for the fly and you have to knock them on the nose. I cast up and across above where they hold and let the sinktip carry the fly into the "zone" and then start jigging the fly back to me as it swings thru the run. I have caught them with the fly going real fast and sometimes almost dead drifted.

The fish running up from Lake Murry to the Greenwood Dam usually start in March and are in there till May. If they are generating, it really helps the bite. They also really like the last hour of daylight.

Both areas I wade and have gotten to know several sweet spots where I can wade to the side of and a little upstream of the hole and let the current take the fly to the fish. Most fish are hooked within 40 feet of my rod tip so great casting is not required. I have found that a sinktip is essential much of the time but always carry another reel with a floater for times they are real active and will hit top water.

Have never fished below Murray so can't help you with spots there and I hear that the time of year may be later like May thru August when those fish are in the river. The water coming out of Greenwood is much warmer than what comes out of Murray so that may account for earlier run.

Maybe next year you should hit Buzzard's Roost early in the year and then hit below Murray in the summer giving you a longer "season".

Stripers are the only "fresh" water fish that fights like a smallie. Maybe a little better.

Email me if any detailed questions.

Hope this helps,

Derek
derekp

Return to Fly Fishing Forum