Fly Line Backing

The long rod ain't just for trout, you know! Discuss chasing bass and bream on the fly right here!

Moderator: BasserDrew

Fly Line Backing

Postby backyard » Mon May 05, 2008 8:10 pm

I have a 6 1/2 ft flyrod for no. 5 line and a Martin 60 reel ( Yes Old ). The fly line is WF-5-F with a 7 1/2 ft 3 X 6lb. Tapered Leader. What i will be fishing for is Panfish and Large Mouth Bass only. What i need to know is do i need Backing on the Reel or not. This reel seems to hold the 82 feet of fly line only.
backyard

Re: Fly Line Backing

Postby redfishguide » Mon May 05, 2008 10:36 pm

backyard wrote:I have a 6 1/2 ft flyrod for no. 5 line and a Martin 60 reel ( Yes Old ). The fly line is WF-5-F with a 7 1/2 ft 3 X 6lb. Tapered Leader. What i will be fishing for is Panfish and Large Mouth Bass only. What i need to know is do i need Backing on the Reel or not. This reel seems to hold the 82 feet of fly line only.

While probably not necessary I for one would try to get a little backing on the reel. If space on the reel is an issue try using gel spun or super braid in place of dacron. The space age lines are very thin and you should be able to add a little insurance behind the fly line.

A trick I use is to wind the line on from the front then add backing to fill to max. Then wind off on to anther (large) reel and then to another then back on the fly reel. Its the only sure way of getting the maximum amount of backing on a fly reel. Yeah its a pain but I do all my fly reels that way.

A bit of a warning about super braid and gel spun is in order. Thin and highly abrasive then can cut deeply quickly. I only resort to them when space on the reel dictates. Dacron is my normal first choice.

Hope this helps.

Jack
redfishguide

Postby BBnumber9 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:06 pm

Well, if you are only bream fishing, you will never need backing. However if you plan on sticking some largemouth big enough to strip line from you, you will wish you had some. That being said, if your reel is only big enough to hold the 82 feet of fly line, I would consider cutting about 20 or 30 feet of the back end of the fly line off, freeing up some reel space for backing. Most likely you will never need to cast more than 60 feet, if ever that far, so you dont really need the full 82 feet of fly line. Obviously don't cut the fly line at the business end, take it off where it attaches to the reel. :wink:
BBnumber9

Postby derekp » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:33 pm

I would consider cutting about 20 or 30 feet of the back end of the fly line off, freeing up some reel space for backing.

I like that idea. I never use the last 20 feet of my line.

Heck, I ought to remove 40 and then for the first time in my life, I can say that I can cast the entire line!

Derek
derekp

Postby BBnumber9 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:48 pm

[quote="derekpHeck, I ought to remove 40 and then for the first time in my life, I can say that I can cast the entire line!

Derek[/quote]

As crazy as it sounds, I have seen guys chunk 90 feet of fly line out with their bare hands, no rod at all. I have no idea how they do it. I can only manage it with a good 5wt rod or better, maybe a 4wt. My little diamondglass 2wt noodle will only get out about 30 feet. Oh well.
BBnumber9

Return to Fly Fishing Forum