Tying Flies

The long rod ain't just for trout, you know! Discuss chasing bass and bream on the fly right here!

Moderator: BasserDrew

Tying Flies

Postby Fishinguy » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:29 pm

I want to get into tying flies, does anyone know of a place i can go get some classes or go to some one that does tying.
Hope you have a great day fishing.
Fishinguy

Postby derekp » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:14 pm

I'm sure several fly shops in Charlotte have night classes. Back in the day I taught tying classes for shops in Greenville, Brevard, and Gatlinburg so I know that most shops have clases from time to time. You can also look for a local Trout Unlimited or Federation of Fly Fishers chapters in your area and they will have meetings of full of fellow tyers and they should have classes from time to time.

http://www.flyfishingnc.com/store/shop/fly-fishing-shops-guide-in-north-carolina-tennessee.php

While you are searching for a fly tying class, you can get online instruction. I know this really cool tying website that was created by a guy that is a great tyer, good looking, super smart, and just a really cool dude (OK, it's me, but really, I do qualify as a good tyer).

Go to http://www.derekspace.net and get some good info on tying.

If you have any questions, ask away.

Good luck in your quest for knowledge,

Derek
derekp

Postby Fishinguy » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:41 pm

Thanks for the info.
Fishinguy

Postby Clay Walters » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:20 am

You'll never meet a better fly tyer than Derek. And once you get started most of it uses the same skill sets over and over and its a matter of you getting used to handling the materials.

Don't get fooled into thinking a fancy vise with a bunch of doodads will solve that for you. Just get one that holds the hook solid and doesn't required continuous fiddling with or adjusting. I'll recommend a Regal Inex (Inexpensive) for starters.

You can find directions on line for just about anything now. Plenty of videos and there's really no need for personal instruction if you have the patience to set up near your pc and take your time. But...sometimes setting with an experienced tyer will get you off to a much quicker start and make following instruction from a book or video much simpler because you understand what is being presented better.

Buy less but better quality feathers. Same for hair. All of them are not equal and the cheap stuff can aggravate you to the point you throw in the towel.

My flies aren't beautiful like Derek's are but I don't think I could ever purchase ready-made flies now. Tying your own is as much a part of fly fishing as pitching the line to a fish.

If you'll stick it out you'll likely find your enjoyment of the sport will increase tenfold.

Regards,

Clay
Clay Walters

Postby TarDevil » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:54 am

I know a guy in Shelby that ties, if you wanna meet up some time!! :lol:

To add my .02 worth, my flies aren't works of art either, but I'm usually right in the mix when it comes to number of fish caught and released. Simple works just fine. Clay hit on some important considerations... you'll find in short order what materials work for you and what don't, so buy in small quantities at first until you see what works for you - both on the vise and in the water.

The internet is a wonderful thing... full of instructions and advice. Places like this forum can help you with any details you are struggling with. And again, you're just across town from me if you're interested in my modest skills.
TarDevil

Postby Oyster » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:20 pm

TarDevil wrote:I know a guy in Shelby that ties, if you wanna meet up some time!! :lol:

To add my .02 worth, my flies aren't works of art either, but I'm usually right in the mix when it comes to number of fish caught and released. Simple works just fine. Clay hit on some important considerations... you'll find in short order what materials work for you and what don't, so buy in small quantities at first until you see what works for you - both on the vise and in the water.

The internet is a wonderful thing... full of instructions and advice. Places like this forum can help you with any details you are struggling with. And again, you're just across town from me if you're interested in my modest skills.

Well if you insist in helping folks learn to tie flies, forget helping me. My zipper works just fine. :lol:
But seriously, I could use some help....second thought catch the fish and clean them for me, okay??? HEHE!

Thats something that I have never done.
Oyster

Postby TarDevil » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:55 pm

Oyster wrote:Well if you insist in helping folks learn to tie flies, forget helping me. My zipper works just fine. :lol:
But seriously, I could use some help....second thought catch the fish and clean them for me, okay??? HEHE!

Thats something that I have never done.

You dont' need any help catching 'em, that's for sure!! If you show me where all those fish are, I'll gladly clean 'em for you!! :D
TarDevil

Postby Fishinguy » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:35 pm

Thanks for the info, i have a vice and some other things that came with the vice, just need to get some suppplys for tying. Yes i would to meet up sometime im going to the beach this weekend for a week.

Fred
Fishinguy

Return to Fly Fishing Forum