Whatcha Tyin' this Winter?

The long rod ain't just for trout, you know! Discuss chasing bass and bream on the fly right here!

Moderator: BasserDrew

Postby smalliesam » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:37 pm

derekp wrote:I like that idea. I should have gotten a new Flux Capacitor for Christmas!

Only problem is if you catch a big fish, your buddy can dial into just before you get to the spot and catch it before you do...then you wouldn't have caught it in the first place? :?

Heck, you could go thru life with everyone else catching your big fish. I bet thats how Drew does it! :lol:

BTW, in case you haven't guessed by now, Redfishguide and I are going to the Everglades Thursday and coming back Tuesday. While we are sweating in that mid 70s temps and breaking our arms hauling in tarpon, snook, and redfish, you guys be sure to stay warm!

Boyscout

The time continuum would be a tricky thing, but worth the hassle in my opinion. Sorry to hear you have such difficult burdens to bear as well.
smalliesam

You Seen it Here First

Postby smalliesam » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:02 am

Being a cheap cuss who likes to tie with Wally World foam I looked at a Wiggle Minnow the other night and said, "hmm?" So, I came up with the what I'm going to call a Blockhead Wiggler. Tested it on the pond alongside the original and it works pretty much the same. To make the body, instead of the 3/8" foam cylinders, I laminated a piece 2mm foam to the top of a piece of thicker foam. The thicker foam is cut from a foam cross or foam door hanger that you find at Wal-mart or craft stores like Michael's or Hobby Lobby. Instead of cutting a slit on the bottom, I cut the slit on top and secured the thicker foam underneath the hook. When I glue a piece of 2mm foam for the back to cover the seam. The foam is cut 3/8" wide and the body ends up about 5/16" tall when the 2mm is added to the top. If these work as well as the original in moving water and from a catching standpoint, I'll post some instructions at some point.

Chart/White Blockhead Wiggler

Gray/White Blockhead Wiggler (this one actually has silver, glitter sticky-back foam for the back)
Last edited by smalliesam on Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
smalliesam

Postby TygerRiverWalker » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:02 am

Very nice Sam. I've got some of that Glittery foam too, now I know what to do with it! BTW did you get the 4mm foam at Wal-Mart?
TRW
TygerRiverWalker

Postby smalliesam » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:55 am

I would have, but they've stopped carrying the foam crosses or door hangers in white. I checked 2 Wal-marts and they didn't have them, so the white foam came from a $1 foam cross at Michael's. They had them in yellow and white, my 2 favorite colors. They've also got the 2mm foam sheets at Michael's. Hobby Lobby also has foam like Michael's. They even have the 4mm in sheets, if I'm not mistaken.
smalliesam

Postby derekp » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:14 pm

smalliesam, those look great! Thanks for the ideas.
derekp

Postby Clay Walters » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:54 am

What a great idea Sam! I like the cylinder foam wiggle minnows but can see where the block style would permit a large head tapered to the back not to mention no seam showing.

What adhesive are you using to stick the foam sheet together?

Clay
Clay Walters

Postby smalliesam » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:16 am

Clay, those aren't tapered. I've thought about trimming them that way, but wanted to start with the easiest construction to see if they work well enough. I'm always looking for a "guide tie" when it comes to simplicity. That and a tapered trim might keep them from riding properly on the water. They're trimmed 3/8" wide and end up about 5/16" tall when you add the 2mm foam to the top. I use gel Zap-a-Gap for glue. But, I've used regular gel super glue in the past with the Wally World foam and it seems to work fine.

These are about 3" long, now I've got to come up with a hook big enough to accomodate a 5" or larger finished length. Tail to body poportions are roughly 50/50. Any ideas out there?
smalliesam

Postby TygerRiverWalker » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:47 pm

Sam,
I've got some saltwater popper hooks that I think would be perfect for a 5" wiggle bug. Give me a few days(work, soccer coaching, etc.) and I'll try to tie one per your recipe.
TygerRiverWalker

Previous

Return to Fly Fishing Forum