Should have taken the 5wt

The long rod ain't just for trout, you know! Discuss chasing bass and bream on the fly right here!

Moderator: BasserDrew

Should have taken the 5wt

Postby BigB » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:26 am

I got a chance to fish the lower saluda for a couple of hours yesterday after the rain cleared. I had in my mind that I was going to do nothing but concentrait on shellcrackers, so that was the only gear I took. Man did I mess up. The trout were surfacing everwere. Man it was awsome they were slurping and coming out the water all the way to crash their meal. I did end up catching five on red worms, but wow only if I had taken my 5wt. The ones that I did catch were nice in the 12" range with one being 14".
BigB

Postby derekp » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:36 pm

That reminds me of a story.

About 16 years ago, I was on this weekend (job related) trip to some camp in Virginia. I found out that it had a pond so I pictured a bass pond with trees on the banks making fly fishing impossible so I took my (last one I ever owned) spinning rod and left the fly rod at home. Big mistake. The pond was totally in the open. The banks were lawn mowered and worse, the pond was clear and shallow. It was polluted with 1 to 2 lb LM and some bigger. I would cast a plastic worm out and when it hit, all you saw were wakes running away! The bass were cruising the shore line looking for hoppers (or whatever) in 1 foot of water and very spooky. I caught one fish. If I had my fly rod, I would have slayed them!

Fly rods are like American Express, never leave home without it.
derekp

Postby IamBare » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:07 pm

I agree. Pond bass love to eat dragonflies and there nothing better than a foam dragonfly. Sometimes they jump at the fly just before it touches the water.
IamBare

Return to Fly Fishing Forum