The search for flys and knowledge

The long rod ain't just for trout, you know! Discuss chasing bass and bream on the fly right here!

Moderator: BasserDrew

Postby BigB » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:04 pm

Guys I appreciate all the help that you have given me. So far I have tied some funky looking wolly buggers and clousers ( funky as in lack of experiance). So far I have about 4 clousers and 4 wolly buggers under my belt. Sam thanks for the help getting started I'll be sending some photos soon and Derek thanks for all the info. Tying your own is really great you get to use your own ideas and run with it. I've found out in the past week that being in the colunbia area almost forces you to use the internet to buy materials. Anyway I thought I'd give my 2cents. Thanks again for all the help.

BigB
BigB

Postby derekp » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:58 pm

Guys, we have created a monster!

I now think that my life was not wasted. I have helped to distribute the disease!

Welcome to the dark side BigB.
derekp

Postby smalliesam » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:22 pm

Yep. The thing about getting to use your own ideas and the statement about having order materials online tells me he's already beyond help. Tell your wife it was DerekP (aka Froderick Fraankunsteen) who did this to you. . .

It's alive. . . It's alive!
smalliesam

Postby BigB » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:12 pm

Yea, it is really addictive. My wife trys to act like its cool but I think the basketball shaped belly with the kicking and punching little resident inside makes my flies a little less interresting. Right now I think she is more concerned with the little pieces of marabou and deer hair that I try my best to keep off the floor but some how keep showing up on the hardwoods. I heard my little 2yr old boy shouting bad bug in the living room only to find that it was a piece of small black marabou being pushed across the floor by the ceiling fan. I got a kick out of that. Anyway I am looking foward to showing you some of my work.
BigB

Postby derekp » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:17 pm

Just be sure to keep track of the hooks. They are very easy to loose only to be found later by a bare foot!

I try to only get out one at a time.
derekp

Postby derekp » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:40 pm

Tell your wife it was DerekP

If I want to be thrown under a bus, I only have to go to work! :shock:

Hey Sam, when you want to float the French Broad, just give me a shout. Heck, if you want to float anywhere up your way, let me know. I think we should do a float after this rain passes.

Thinking it over, sometime this year me, you, TarDevil, Deepstep, Celtic, and BigB should plan a trip. Just a thought.
derekp

Postby smalliesam » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:44 am

BigB,
Do you own a cat? If so, and materials go missing, you'll know why. You won't know where, but you'll know why.

DP,
The crabapple in my yard is beginning to bloom, so that means the smallies are moving up into the pools and pockets around the runs on my local flow. Not sure if that tells me anything about other rivers. I'd love to do the French Broad and soon. If this weather pattern holds, it may be another week or 2. But, I'm watching the levels and the weather and the first day the condition get right, I'm taking off work or whatever and getting out. It'll be short notice probably and I don't know enough about the FB to make a call there. But, if you know the game plan, let me know and I'll try to make it.

A group outing is definately in order. Do you have a river in mind?
smalliesam

Previous

Return to Fly Fishing Forum