Broad River This Weekend

The long rod ain't just for trout, you know! Discuss chasing bass and bream on the fly right here!

Moderator: BasserDrew

Broad River This Weekend

Postby nielson » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:57 am

My pal Bill from NC and I are planning to fish the upper Broad this weekend. We've never been on the river and our plans are pretty sketchy. Our intent is to link up Friday AM somewhere in Gaffney and then go find some likely float access points and also do some wade fishing. Both of us fly fish and we'll be after smallmouth.

We'll probably start looking at the first dam just above I-85 (Gaston Dam) and then work our way south.

If any of you would like to join us to show us the ropes we'd appreciate the assistance.

Jim
nielson

Postby Riverratsc » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:16 am

If you go to duke-energy.com you can get maps of the access points for the Broad River in the area you are going to float. Its rather muddy right now because we had a lot of rain over the last few weeks. Good luck with your float.
The Mighty Rat
Riverratsc

Postby nielson » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:29 am

Thanks for the update & info. That's not too encouraging. Jim
nielson

Postby BlackwaterBill » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:34 am

Jim

here is a link to the SC River guages

http://water.usgs.gov/waterwatch/?m=real&r=sc

While the water could be stained, the levels are all acceptable. The one at Boiling Springs NC is a little high and that may what is causing the stain.

The float I PMed to you is supposed to have some shoals but no big drops per Basserdrew. Sorry I can't joing yall but I am going over there before June 30 hopefully. My license is good till then.
"I am by practice and predilection a top-water man. How I love to hear a rampaging bass wallop a capering surface plug!" Havilah Babcock from Monafilment Hates People
BlackwaterBill

Postby Riverratsc » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:46 am

Gaston Shoals is actually .40 low but the water is thick as pea soup. Pacolet River is even worse with these late evening storms rolling through here its gonna stay pretty muddy.
The Mighty Rat
Riverratsc

Postby nielson » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:53 pm

I guess the question is: does the mud/stain put the fish down in this river or are they still actively feeding?
Jim
nielson

Postby BlackwaterBill » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:36 pm

Jim

I have had no luck fishing stained water on the Braod and I don't think the local guys bother with it when it is brown. Maybe one of them will chime in on your question.
"I am by practice and predilection a top-water man. How I love to hear a rampaging bass wallop a capering surface plug!" Havilah Babcock from Monafilment Hates People
BlackwaterBill

Postby Riverratsc » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:55 pm

The two guys I fish with some said they have a hard time catching them with it as muddy as it was Monday. So far none of us bother trying when it muddy but we do alright when its stained and great when its mostly clear.
The Mighty Rat
Riverratsc

Postby TygerRiverWalker » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:44 pm

River was chocolate milk today and pretty high. Most of the shoals were under water .
TRW
TygerRiverWalker

Postby nielson » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:12 pm

Fellas, this is getting depressing but I do appreciate the reports. I may start looking for other fishable waters to float, NC or VA, and pass on the Broad this weekend. Jim
nielson

Postby Riverratsc » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:55 pm

We have storms rolling through as I type so you may want to plan to come later this month.
The Mighty Rat
Riverratsc

Postby derekp » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:30 pm

I too have never caught many smallies in muddy water...except once.

There is a short (1/2 mile) stretch of good shoal water on another river I know and had fished it a lot at the time and knew every little cut, pool, and run in it.

Only way I could catch them when it was muddy was to get a heavily weighted woolly bugger down on the bottom and literally had to hit them on the nose. Problem was the few that did take would just stop it and you would think you were hanging weeds. I would start to pull it free and feel a slow throb. Caught some and missed a as many or more.

If I hadn't know evey inch of those shoals, I wouldn't have caught anything. Heck, I wouldn't have risked wading it! Couldn't see 1 ft down!

Still beat loafing around the house.

Good luck if you go and tell us how you do.
derekp

Postby nielson » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:16 pm

Well, we've given up on going anywhere this weekend. We'll try next weekend, probably the New in VA and upstream of Claytor Lake.
We've never been on the New so it should be an adventure.

Most of the smallmouth fishing we've done has been on the Upper James vic Buchanon. However, the fish kills that have occurred the past few years has finally made us look elsewhere.

Thanks for all your help and I look forward to a trip down the Broad later this summer or early fall when the water is right.

Jim
nielson

Postby Riverratsc » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:34 pm

We had tornados hit yesterday and lots of rain along the upper Broad River basin.
The Mighty Rat
Riverratsc

Postby Riverratsc » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:05 am

Thurday morning we rode up to Bass Pro Shop at Concord Mills and as we went over Broad river I noticed it was higher than what was listed. It was very muddy and after Thursday evening I'm sure it was much worse. We have another really bad storm roll through the area. The storm toppled hundreds of trees across Cherokee County. With as much and hail that fell I'm sure the river won't be any good before Monday at the earliest.
The Mighty Rat
Riverratsc

Return to Fly Fishing Forum