Got Me a Fly Rod

The long rod ain't just for trout, you know! Discuss chasing bass and bream on the fly right here!

Moderator: BasserDrew

Got Me a Fly Rod

Postby BlackwaterBill » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:27 pm

Now I have to get a reel, backing, line and some flies. Rosy410, a Carolina Grad on GRF heard me asking around and sent me a like new rod as a gift. 6 weight.
"I am by practice and predilection a top-water man. How I love to hear a rampaging bass wallop a capering surface plug!" Havilah Babcock from Monafilment Hates People
BlackwaterBill

Postby smalliesam » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:44 am

Congrats on the new stick BW. Looking forward to the reports. . .
smalliesam

Postby Clay Walters » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:13 am

Once you've successfully landed a few smallies on the fly you'll be ruint. :)

Misery loves company,

Clay
Clay Walters

Postby smalliesam » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:03 am

Clay Walters wrote:Once you've successfully landed a few smallies on the fly you'll be ruint. :)

Misery loves company,

Clay

That reminds me. I forgot my standard reply. . .

Welcome to the support group. . .
smalliesam

Postby AllRiversSouth » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:47 pm

BW,

Man you've done it now....Soon the wife will be asking "where's my yarn and sewing thread? :shock: " and "where did those chicken feathers come from :roll: ?" Welcome to the Royal Order of the Long Rod!
"Have Boat Will Travel"
AllRiversSouth

Postby derekp » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:09 pm

Congrats, BWB!

Yes, you are going to really enjoy battling smallies and LM on the fly. Heck, bream, crappie, and jackfish are a hoot too! Actually, jackfish on the fly is hard for me to pass up.

PM me your address and I'll send you a few of my favorite flies. No charge. Think of it as partial repayment for you inviting Clay and me to float the Broad with you back in May. Definatly I'll send the one that worked good for me on that Broad trip.
derekp

Postby TarDevil » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:30 pm

I'll be glad to add a few of my Rivets to Derek's offerings if you'll give me an address as well. It's my "main thang" now!

Welcome to the long rodder world!
TarDevil

Postby BlackwaterBill » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:25 pm

I will just put it right here.

Blackwater
3685 Highway 138
Covington, GA 30014
"I am by practice and predilection a top-water man. How I love to hear a rampaging bass wallop a capering surface plug!" Havilah Babcock from Monafilment Hates People
BlackwaterBill

Postby derekp » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:40 pm

Boxed up a few favorite flies and set them beside the door so I won't forget them. Should get a chance to mail them Monday at lunch so maybe they arrive before next weekend.

BTW, for bass, you don't need an expensive reel cause the runs are usually short.

I suggest a Scientifc Anglers Bass Bug Taper fly line. It's pricey at $60 but the best line for bass fishing that I know of.

Best of luck Bill!

Derek
derekp

Postby BlackwaterBill » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:45 pm

Thanks. I will use all the tips I can get. I used to bream fish but never tried for bass with a fly pole. Just poppers on a bream bed.
BlackwaterBill

Postby TarDevil » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:02 am

I'll get a few tied this week, Bill. Hope to have them to you before the weekend!

Edited to add: I just checked my inventory... I'm out of natural deer body hair, so I'll need to make a quick run to the sporting goods store on Monday.
TarDevil

Postby BlackwaterBill » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:36 am

You guys are too nice. Hope we can go to a couple of southern , western NC rivers where I have some floats laid out that are ready for the picking. Rumor has it that there are 5 lb smallies in those waters. They are either there or one of my friends is a PREVARICATOR,I think that means liar.
BlackwaterBill

Postby derekp » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:14 pm

You guys are too nice.

Nah, it's just that me and TD are working on you so that you will tell us all about some of your secret fishing holes! :lol:

To be honest, we all want to see some pics of you landing 3lb smallie or a 4 lb LM on a fly. That would be priceless.

Best of luck,

Boyscout
derekp

Return to Fly Fishing Forum