Wambaw, Wabdoo, and park lakes

Whether it is bass, bream or catfish in the freshwater, or reds, pompano and sea trout in the tidal creeks, this is your forum for the lowcountry rivers south of Columbia and I-20.

Moderator: BasserDrew

Wambaw, Wabdoo, and park lakes

Postby derekp » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:26 pm

Before I begin...
Hey LilP.D. River Rat, I was up your way and thought about your Little Pee Dee River trip reports. Keep them coming! My next expedition into the lowcountry will involve the L Pee Dee river. That is really beautiful country.

Now to the main event...

I just got back from a 3 day solo fishing trip in the lowcountry.

I drove 700 miles (I'm located near Greenville SC) and fished 2 State Park lakes and 2 rivers in 3 days. I left Thursday morning and got back Saturday night.

I hit Cheraw state park (near Kershaw), Wambaw Creek (a trib of Santee River near coast), Wabdoo Creek (trib of Cooper near Monk's Corner), and Goodale State park near Camden.

I spent more time driving than fishing but got to see some awsome scenery and found a few good places to fish. The fish however did not cooperate at all even tho all but one place I fished (Wambaw), I interrogated several local fisherman and they say these waters have fish in them. Nobody I talked to or saw was catching anything so I didn't feel too bad.

I also saw a few gators and heard lots more rushing thru the brush right before they splashed into the water. After hearing about that poor guy who lost an arm in Moultrie the other week, I was wide awake the entire time I was on the water.

For what it is worth, I put half my photos on my website. The other half are in a disposable camera that still has a few frames left so that may be a while.

For those with way too much time on thier hands...

http://www.derekspace.net/fishpic7.htm

Hope you'all caught more than I did this weekend. I have never spent so much on gas and caught so few fish!

Derek

derekp

Postby frankinnc » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:46 am

derek, nice pics. You were on some real fishy looking water. Sounds like a nice trip.

Frank
frankinnc

Postby BasserDrew » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:05 pm

Wow, nice pics! I know those lowcountry waters and swamps must hold some monsters, but catching them is the hard part!

One of these days I'm sure I'll get down there for some bassin and redfish.
BasserDrew
Site Admin

Postby Bruiser » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:07 pm

Cool low country pictures! I like your website too. A lot of useful fly tying information there.
Bruiser

Postby LilP.D. River Rat » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:18 pm

I have only been to the river a few times in the last month or so. Each time I only caught about 5 or so, all being small. With deer season in now I have been doing alot of that lately. With this rain the river should come up a good bit and maybe the fishing will heat back up. I can't wait for it to cool off.

I am also looking for a Broad River trip in the Columbia area if anyone is interested!
LilP.D. River Rat

Thanks

Postby derekp » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:31 pm

Thanks for the pic compliments. Ill post again when I get the rest developed.

Going to do family stuff this weekend so you'all catch a few for me Saturday.

I can't wait to go back. I hear the rivers calling me...

Derek
derekp

Return to Lowcountry Rivers