Deepstep Shellcracker

Come here to talk about river fishing anywhere around Columbia and above. Feel free to give us a trip report to let us know how the fish are biting!

Moderator: BasserDrew

Postby nielson » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:35 am

That's one nice fish!

While I would have tossed it back, I am not bothered by anyone who wouldn't. I don't pretend to know the right answer.

Clay Walters' makes a good argument for keeping that fish or at least makes one think that putting it back might not be the right thing to do.

Jim
nielson

Postby TarDevil » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:28 am

Clay, everything I've read advises against crappie in small impoundments. The new camp director where my Dad worked part time decided he wanted to catch crappie and stocked them in the two small lakes. We fished those lakes nearly all my life... nowadays those lakes are nearly worthless for bass.
TarDevil

Postby FishinsMyLife » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:10 pm

I thought the same about crappie but I have started fishing a swamp pond loaded with crappie and it is the best bass pond I have ever seen. It has a lot of cover, bream, and shiners to help it balance out for the crappie though.
FishinsMyLife

Postby BlackwaterBill » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:59 pm

The Upper cut into Deepstep Creek is part of the Savannah river which has the highest average flow by volume of all river seast of the Mississippi. The only major trib below that point is Stevens Creek and Briar Creek which are insignificant as tribs go. Therefore the issue of releasing big fish is moot as far as keeping balance in that big river.

Another issue to think about river bass in C&R is that a LM grows about 1 lb per year. It takes 8-9 years to grow an 8 lber. Shoal bass grow at the same rate as a LM for the first year then half as fast. A 6 lb shoal bass could be 13 years old. Taking those big ones out may make the smaller ones grow bigger but its fun fishing water when you know a good many 5 lbers + have been caught & released in there.

One of my fishing holes is a section of a river above a head dam and I have personally caught and released a 7-7 and 3 fish over 5 in there while my grandsons have C&R 2 over 5. We all like to go there because we know they are in there somewhere, hopefully.
"I am by practice and predilection a top-water man. How I love to hear a rampaging bass wallop a capering surface plug!" Havilah Babcock from Monafilment Hates People
BlackwaterBill

Postby IamBare » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:07 pm

Thanks for sharing the picture. Very impressive!!! That fish has had several years to pass on its genetics.
IamBare

Postby jjohnson » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:17 pm

BlackwaterBill wrote:To catch a fish like that is really a fish of a lifetime. Sizewise it would not be the best eating, smaller ones easier to clean & cook and taste better most likely. If you want a trophy, you can take a picture and the measurements and have an excellent replica made that looks identical to the original. If the fish were then released, someone else could have the joy of catching it. We have documented that the same fish can be caught several times where C&R is practiced.

Those are some reasons I personally would not keep that or any other trophy class fish. In the tourney we have on grorgiariverfishing.com one rule is that bass 3 lbs and over have to be released to be eligible for the tourney. You can eneter a bass 3 lbs and under and eat it. This year I have kept maybe 30 bass 3 lbs & under. When I catch one over three, like last year I caught maybe 20 river bass over 4lbs, I released them all.

BW,
I am sure the reason the person keeps the fish he catches is because of the size of his family. I think ten children all but a couple are adopted. He is a former missionary and was one of the Iran hostages that was held until Carter lost the election.
I do not think a bass over two pounds is worth keeping to eat. Actually, anything over 13 inches is too big to keep and eat.
jjohnson

Postby castandblast » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:15 am

What size of a boat can you take down the Savannah at that point and into Deepset? I have a small aluminum and a 16 foot Deep-V. Can that river be floated with a Deep-V or am I asking for trouble?
Lifetime Student of Fishing
castandblast

Postby BlackwaterBill » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:57 pm

From the rqmp near 28 to the dam at Stevens Creek you can navigate with the 16 but Deep step is for small boats. I full of coontail grass when the water is low.
"I am by practice and predilection a top-water man. How I love to hear a rampaging bass wallop a capering surface plug!" Havilah Babcock from Monafilment Hates People
BlackwaterBill

Previous

Return to Upstate and Midland Rivers