depthfinders

Tell us how it's done...how you constructed that pop-up camper using only some pool noodles, PVC and duct tape - Your forum moderator - Martha "Smallmouth" Stewart

Moderator: BasserDrew

depthfinders

Postby Dux-n-Dawgs » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:21 pm

ok, I'm seriously contemplating putting holes in my yak and hard mounting an object on my Drifter (I can see Drew cringing right now, LOL)

Truthfully I'll probably RAM mount it (if I decide to go through with this) that way I can also add rod holder/depthfinder/GPS/sandwich holder/ 20oz Diet Coke holder to it as well if I decide to. :lol: But truthfully I like having my rods at my feet and not in a holder.

Depthfinders.
1. What kind of battery is used?
2. Where can I get said battery and for how much?
3. How do you mount it inside your yak?

I plan on epoxying the transducer into the hull as a 'shoot through' just like I have all the many bass boats I've put them into (hope the hull doesn't flex too much and break loose the epoxy). But I've always used Group 31 12volt batteries in my bass boats as well ..... thus I've got analglycoma on putting a Group 31 in a yak ..... even a Drifter .... LOL.

Any and all help is appreciated.
Dux-n-Dawgs

Postby BasserDrew » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:35 pm

What an abomination... :lol:

Just kidding Dux. Hey, it aint for me, but to each his own. I dont know a thing about putting them on yaks, but Braveswin on the GA site does. He has one on one of his Cobra Kayaks. Try sending him a PM.
BasserDrew
Site Admin

Postby Bruiser » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:48 pm

I like my polarized sunglasses. Much easier to install and they don't require batteries. 8) I never get out much on big water like lakes or oceans so I don't use one. One less thing to pack or worry about.

I pulled the following from another site:
Go to a Batteries Plus store and pick up a 12v 7a battery. They also have chargers for them there and if all your running on it is the fish finder, it will last a long time on the scale of greater than 24 hours. Then get a Pelican water tight box from any marine store. Drill a small hole in the side and use a two ton epoxy to install a double end female RCA jack. Use a pair of spade clips to connect the terminals to a wire with a male rca jack on the end. Splice a male rca jack on the power supply line for the ff. Coat the connections exterior to the box with a water proof grease. You can get that a radio shack. You now have a water proof long lasting power supply.
Last edited by Bruiser on Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bruiser

Postby TarDevil » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:11 pm

I have two depth finders...

TarDevil

Postby Dux-n-Dawgs » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:16 am

Thanks Bruiser ..... I'll give Braves a shout like Drew said and combine the two and make it work.

Hey Tar, don't forget about the other depth checker ....... the good ol' rod tip ....... just gotta be careful not to bust out the eye or crack the ceramic.

I've already got a Eagle 320 Fishmark that is on a RAM in my War Eagle boat ..... I'm seriously comtemplating setting the Drifter up to where all I got to do is switch this unit back and forth. All I'd have to do is but a new RAM base and a transducer for the 320, as well as a battery (and all that stuff).

I think what I'd do is mount the base, then go fishing one day with just the head unit attached ...... see if it gets in the way or if I like it there ..... if I do, then I'd go ahead and get another transducer and start making it work. If it's too big, but I like the depthfinder idea and location I'd just get another more smaller unit.
Dux-n-Dawgs

Postby bamabass » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:29 pm

Hey DnD,

Over on the Mississippi River Fishing site there is a thread on the general discussion page that RedHeron started called "River Toys". A guy named redfish has some awesome pics of his set up that includes a plastic cup and a tupperware lid. It's pretty cool and may be of some help.

However, if MacGyver had gotten a hold of that yak, a magnifying glass, piece of yarn, and paperclip would have been involved, and the final product probably would fillet the fish, bread em up, deep fry em, and serve you a cold beer with it all.

But what do I know?

Matt
bamabass

Postby derekp » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:05 pm

Dux, how do you like your Fish Eagle 320?

I do a lot of small lakes (20 to 150 acres) and been thinking of a getting some depth charges...I mean a depth finder but have never used one and don't know anything about them.

I know many times the bass suspend at maybe 10 to 15 ft but the actual depth maybe 30. Do these things really pick up the fish?

Thanks,

Derek
derekp

Postby Bruiser » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:58 am

Not trying to hijack the thread, but Derek, how do you get your flies down 10-15ft deep? Sink tip line? Still, that has to be difficult. I am pretty green when it comes to the long stick so please fill me in.
Bruiser

Postby derekp » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:05 am

Yes, I use a sink tip from Scientific Anglers that has about a 15 to 18 ft sink tip. It is also one of thier fastest sinking tips I think around 5 to 6 ft per second. Add about 6 feet of leader to a weighted fly and I can retrieve it at around 10 ft depth more or less.

I also use my sink tip for dredging the bottom of deep holes in the French Broad for smallies and Saluda below Greenwood for stripers where I wade up to beside a deep hole (8 to 10 ft depth), cast upstream and let the current bring the fly to almost directly across stream to me while it sinks. I then slowly jig wooly buggers and clousers and can feel the rocks and sand drag on the fly. Too many times the only way the fish will bite is to get down to them.

On several lakes I fish, I see bass hitting minnows on top. If I am in casting distance, I can usually get one before they go back down. I am conviced these fish stay in the same general area but suspended because I have seen them bust bait year after year in some of the exact same places and some of these areas are deeper than 20 ft. With a depth finder, I should be able to find the depth they are at and get a deciever down to where they don't have to move up too much to hit. I think these fish stay in an area less than 1/4 acre (maybe oriented around a hump or tree) and wait for bait schools to swim above them. I could also find structure with fish that are holdinig tight to it and while I might not pick up the actual fish on the finder, I should be able to identify good structure to probe.

I've caught bass all of my life but mostly when they are shallow and very aggressive. Trying to figure them out and catching them on the fly rod (not a good tool for LM bass) is much harder than catching trout in rivers. It's a challenge that can ruin your life.

Whew, sorry for the long reply. I like to hear myself talk.

Derek
derekp

Postby Dux-n-Dawgs » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:17 pm

D'
I like the Eagle 320 just fine. I really don't feel that the 480 is going to show you anything much better than the 320, it just makes the image 'purdy'er', LOL !

With a 320 pix' you can see enough definition in images to actually see a jigging spoon being dropped down to a suspended bass and actually watch the bass eat the spoon. Awesome does not even describe it. It's so funny b/c you'll feel the thump on the rod at the exact same moment the images come together.

I've used many (and I do mean MANY) different units due to tournament fishing. I've found that the 320 is the best bang for your buck .... and this is coming from someone who'd drop $1000 on a GPS/depthfinder unit and sell off last years $800 unit for 300 bucks just to try and stay on the edge.

Since that time I've learned a few things about units.

1. Don't buy an 'all in one' unit. When it goes out, your f*ck'd.
2. a good 320 pixel unit is hard to beat as far as image is concerned
3. buy a GPS that's got an SD card reader
4. rig them so they are easily interchangable ..... and can be taken off at the hotel room when on the road.
5. always epoxy transducers as 'thru-hull' when able to
6. put GPS pucks in a place where they are not in the way and not easily knocked off.

Over the years I've had good service out of Lowrance/Eagle. I've had to send a few back to be worked on and Customer Service was great and the unit was fixed quickly. I switched to Lowrance probably 7 yrs ago due to Humminbirds messing up so frequently and I've not fooled with any since, so I do not know how good their products now are ..... but I do know they've done alot of redesigning of things.
Dux-n-Dawgs

Postby Dux-n-Dawgs » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:02 pm

Hey bama'
THanks man. I didn't know you could do that with AA batteries. That's awesome. That definately takes care of the 'compact' and 'weight' issues I was thinking about.

I just wished I could find a good setup for the transducer. I've always shot through the hull for my transducers except for my bow mounted trolling motor units. Not only does that give me visual of exactly the front of the boat instead of something I've already passed over, but it also gave me temperature due to the transducer being in the water. THus I'd love to see someone's setup of an external mounted transducer ...... perhaps a 'swing arm' so you can take it in and out for when you need it and not have to worry about rocks.

Got any ideas????
Dux-n-Dawgs

Postby derekp » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:32 pm

Dux,

Thanks for the low down on electronics.

I was wondering about the diff between 320 and 480. Great tips, I need all I can get. I will certainly get a Lowrance or Eagle.

Experience is priceless, for everything else, there's MasterCard.

In your debt,

Derek
derekp

Postby Dux-n-Dawgs » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:46 am

No problem derek !

The funny thing is, I went against what I said I was going to do, LOL !

I found out that the price of a transducer for a Eagle 320 was like $60. I found out that I could get a Eagle Cuda 242 (240 pixel) at WallyWorld for $80. Thus I sprang for the new Cuda 242. So the Eagle 320 will stay on the jon boat and there will not be any crossing over like I planned. I still plan on mounting it to a RAM mount though.

The other reason I went with the Cuda 242 was EVERYBODY that puts a depthfinder on a yak goes with the small compact units and not the larger ones like the Eagle 320. Also, the Cuda 242 has more pixels than the Cuda 168 for only $5 more.

Just more food for thought. I still like a 320 pixel unit for a regular boat since space is not generally an isssue.
Dux-n-Dawgs

Postby buckwheat » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:09 pm

there are a number of portable models out now that work or
AA batteries and would shoot through if placed right on the hull.
also with a little 2" pvc pipe and some t's and elbows you can make
great rod holders. a little creativity can work wonders. Built mine so my
rod butts are either between my legs or on each side of me when I sit.
Cheap and feather light.
buckwheat

Postby derekp » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:38 pm

DnD,

Let me know how it works on the water. I'm close to buying the 242 (at 80$, how can you lose) myself. Hey, do you work for Eagle? I'm sold, hope your commission is as big as BDs average fish! :D

To be honest, I would have bought one this week but Christmas has financially devistated the Porter household. Yes, we are in a reccession here and now! My wife spends money today that I won't make until next year...no, I mean the year after that...OK, at least 5 years from now.

I'm going to encourage her to run for public office, she has proven experience at spending my money on trivial junk. No doubt she would fit in perfectly with the politicians in DC (both sides of the aisle).

I have been toying with the idea of a FF for a year now but was having trouble getting info from someone who really uses one a lot. TX.

Yo buckwheat, when I get a FF, I will try the "shoot thru" the hull mount. I know if I put it on a portable "over the side" mount, I will get it damaged. Also if I put it on the trolling motor, I will no doubt kill it on a log in short order. TX for heads up.

DnD, keep us updated on how the new gizmo works out,

Derek
derekp

Next

Return to Do-It-Yerself (DIY)