Rod Holders

Tell us how it's done...how you constructed that pop-up camper using only some pool noodles, PVC and duct tape - Your forum moderator - Martha "Smallmouth" Stewart

Moderator: BasserDrew

Rod Holders

Postby Dux-n-Dawgs » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:46 am

I can't stand the Factory rod holders on a Ocean Kayak Anger Edition. Unless you are trolling or wanting to either break off a lure on a backcast or break off a rod on a tree limb ..... they are worthless.

I see this idea on the Jo-Ja River Fishing site and added my own twist ..... the bungee cord to keep them in the holder. They worked like a charm Saturday.

Materials.
1" PVC ............ goes inside factory holder
1" 45 degree elbow
1" to 1.5" 90degree elbow
1.5" 'T' fitting
1.5" PVC for longer rod holding part
duct tape ........ wrap at the bottom of the PVC to fatten it up for a tight fit in the factory holder.

Also, remember you'll want to ofcoarse us a small section of 1" PVC pipe to joint the 45 degree and 90 degree elbows together. As well as 1.5" pip to joint the 90 degree elbow to the 'T' fitting.

You can see in the pictures how I notched the 'T' fitting for the spinning reel, as well as added a small bungee cord and anchored it on the outside with a self-tapping screw.

Dux-n-Dawgs

Postby frankinnc » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:16 am

Real slick D n D.
frankinnc

Postby BasserDrew » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:19 pm

Yea, well done Dux.
BasserDrew
Site Admin

Postby Dux-n-Dawgs » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:21 pm

thanks gang ! I always enjoy a good project, especially when it makes something better than the factory ever was. I don't mind fishing with rods laying down beside my legs, but it sure was nice having them out of the way and plenty of leg room to move around and keep them from falling asleep.
Dux-n-Dawgs

Postby CricketKiller » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:06 pm

Good job Dux! I like the rod holder idea. I need to figure out a way to rig something up on my caper. I'm not sure if your holders will work because i don't have any holes or factory rod holders on mine
CricketKiller

Postby Dux-n-Dawgs » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:24 am

They would work, but you'd have to put large holes in your yak and get these flush type holders at a boat supply store (Bass Pro, Cabela's, West Marine, etc) as well as small holes for the screws.

Your best bet would be to go the Scotty Rod Holder's (or similar type) route b/c then all you'd have to do is drill small holes for the screws.

But thanks again.
Dux-n-Dawgs

Return to Do-It-Yerself (DIY)