Canoe Seats

Tell us how it's done...how you constructed that pop-up camper using only some pool noodles, PVC and duct tape - Your forum moderator - Martha "Smallmouth" Stewart

Moderator: BasserDrew

Canoe Seats

Postby lipsnagger » Sat May 09, 2009 2:49 pm

Just wondering what kind of difference does lowering your canoe seat make and also moving them forward or back. Like moving the seats more taoward the middle of the boat (the widest point). Also what is the best thing to wrap around your drag chain?
Catch a fish with a strap in it's mouth call me or Josh
lipsnagger

Postby TygerRiverWalker » Sat May 09, 2009 4:04 pm

Moving the seat to the widest point of the boat helps with initial stability. Mainly you'll feel more balanced and not as tippy. You have to be aware that it will also change the trim of your boat. How it sits in the water fore and aft. Don't go too far forward or the bow will sit lower than the stern, affecting how you canoe tracks/glides.
I have my seat so that the bow is a bit higher. I feel the boat performs better this way plus when I bring my cooler and 50lb. dog they both sit up front.
As far as height, the lower you center of gravity the more stable. For fishing though, sitting way down in the boat is a hindrance. I moved my seat forward (near the widest part of the boat) and up and overall stability stayed the same. You'll probably have to experiment a bit to see what works best for your boat.
TRW
TygerRiverWalker

Postby BlackwaterBill » Sat May 09, 2009 4:45 pm

Ditto what TRW said about moving the seat. I moved mine up and to the front slightly still just rear of rear of center. I am talking about a solo canoe. If you have two seats it may betake soem dfferent advice.

Two ways I know to cover your drag chain. First, cheapest and easiest is duct tape. Hlf lapped wraps from one end to the other will work fine and it can recovered when needed. Second is to pull a bicycle tire innner tub over the chain. I have not dtried it but those that have like it better than duct tape. They say to dust your chain good with talcom powder so it is easier to stretch the tube over the chain. I guess some vaseline would help if you didn't have the powder handy. I would try a tube just about the same size or just slightly smaller than the chain.
"I am by practice and predilection a top-water man. How I love to hear a rampaging bass wallop a capering surface plug!" Havilah Babcock from Monafilment Hates People
BlackwaterBill

Postby derekp » Sun May 17, 2009 2:17 pm

I use bicycle inner tubes and have no complaints. Works great.

BTW, I went to a bicycle shop and asked where the inner tubes were and they guy asked me what size. I told him I didn't know cause I wasn't using it for a bike, just needed the rubber for a project. He went back in the shop and handed me several useed inner tubes...for free.

Take a rope and tie it to something big. drop the end of the rope down the inner tube. Once the rope is thru, tie the chain to the rope. Cover chain with KY jelly and pull inner tube over the chain. Use a zip tie to secure the tube to the chain.
derekp

Return to Do-It-Yerself (DIY)