Broad River Wade

Come here to talk about river fishing anywhere around Columbia and above. Feel free to give us a trip report to let us know how the fish are biting!

Moderator: BasserDrew

Broad River Wade

Postby Onthefly » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:17 am

I have waded the NC side of the Broad River above Gaffney, being new to the area any information on areas to wade above Columbia would be greatly appreciated. Having relocated from MD, the Broad has the same feel and characteristics as the Potomac River and Shenandoah. Looking forward to getting to know her better......

Onthefly
Onthefly

Postby Creekstalker » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:02 pm

I imagine you'll be getting some PM's here pretty soon. Welcome to SCRF and I hope to see you at NCRF also!

CS
Creekstalker
Site Admin

Postby BasserDrew » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:28 pm

welcome to the site! I am busy at the moment, but when I get a free chance I'll see if I can send you some stuff that will help.
BasserDrew
Site Admin

Postby Onthefly » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:37 pm

CS & BasserDrew,

Thank you. I am looking forward to being an active contributor and participant to the site. Do the members on the site have regular events?
Such as an SCRF Riverfest where a date and float/cookout are scheduled.

Thanks again,
OTF
Onthefly

Postby BasserDrew » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:25 pm

Yea, but there isn't really an annual event yet since the site is no new and young. Right now anyone can just put up a post inviting us all to float/camp/eat one weekend and see what happens.

It is about time to start an annual get-together. We did one meet and greet and 4 of us showed up. Since then I have fished with about 4 or 5 others from this site just by sending them a private message or by putting up a post where I was looking for a float partner. I just noticed FrankinNC put a post up on the "dating service" thread. That is where a float trip partner post should go. Maybe you can join Frank on Sat since he is lookin for a partner??
BasserDrew
Site Admin

Postby BasserDrew » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:17 pm

This is what the DNR will give you on the Broad. It is a great tool for access. Hope this helps.

FROM DNR:

The following is a list of access points along the Broad River from North Carolina to Parr Shoals Reservoir, SC. Although there are several access areas suitable for launching a boat, most of the river is very shallow and difficult to navigate. If you and your partner can't carry the boat, it's too big for this river. Down-river floats from one access point to another are the best way to utilize the river. At most water levels you will need to walk your boat through many of the shoals and riffles that occur along the river. Be aware that the access areas given here are notorious for vandalism. Directions will refer to the South Carolina Atlas and Gazetteer (SCA&G).

1. Access above Gaston Shoals Reservoir (SCA&G, pg20,C1). From I-85 (exit #96) head north on SC 18 to S-11-71 (Concord Church Road). Turn left on Concord Church Road to Estelle Road. Turn right and go to crossroad. Cross intersection, Estelle road becomes Sarratt Road. Take Sarratt road to Holems road to Big Bay Access Area.
2. Access directly below Gaston shoals Dam (SCA&G, pg20,C1). Follow directions above, after crossroads take first right onto Spillway Road (dirt road). Follow Road down to Fishing trail.
3. Access below Gaston Shoals Dam, Bowens River Canoe Access (SCA&G, pg20,C1). From I-85 (exit 96) head north on highway 18. After crossing Broad River take first left onto S-11-98 (Dravo Road?). Cross Bowens Creek, access on left.
4. Access downstream (approximately 3 miles) from Gaston Shoals Hydro(SCA&G, pg20,D1). From I-85 head south on SC 329, cross US 29, go approximately 0.5 miles to Ford Road. Turn left onto Ford Road, pass softball fields, go left through access gate, follow road to access area.
5. Access above Lockhart Power company at Cherokee Falls (SCA&G, pg20,D1). From I-85 (exit 96)take SC 329 south. Turn Left onto US 29 (Toward Blacksburg). After crossing the Broad River travel approximately 1.5 miles. Turn Right on S-11-30 travel 1.7 miles name changes to Cherokee Road. Follow Cherokee Road for approximately 1 mile; access is on right just before powerhouse.
6. 99-islands Reservoir (Pick Hill Access) (SCA&G, pg20,E2). From I-85 (exit 96) take SC 329 south. Turn Left onto US 29 (Toward Blacksburg). After crossing the Broad River travel approximately 3.4 miles into Blacksburg. Turn Right onto Charleston Street (SSR S-11-43), which becomes Ninety-Nine Islands Road. From Blacksburg, travel approximately 7 miles. Pick Hill Boat access is on the right.
7. 99-islands access below the dam (SCA&G, pg20,E2). Follow directions to 99-islands Reservoir (Pick Hill Access). Continue to follow Ninety-Nine Islands Road 0.5 miles past Pick Hill access, road ends at boat ramp.
8. Neal Shoals Reservoir, Sumter National Forrest Woods Ferry Recreation Area (SCA&G, pg26,C2). From the town of Lockhart follow SC 49 west (toward Union) for approximately 1.8 miles to SSR S-44-86 (River Road). Turn left and follow River Road for approximately 5.4 miles to SSR S-44-389 (Boat Landing Road). Turn left and follow Boat Landing Road to Boat Ramp.
9. Below Neal Shoals Dam (SCA&G, pg26,C3). From the town of Lockhart travel east on SC 9 to SSR S-12-49. Turn Right onto SSR S-12- 49. Follow SSR S-12-49 for approximately 6 miles to Park Road, turn right onto Park Road. Follow Park Road for 1.3 miles to Neal Shoals Road/Vinson Road. Turn Left and follow Neal Shoals Road for 0.6 miles to Vinson Road. Bear Right onto Vinson Road. Follow Vinson Road to turn-around. At back of the turn-around, there is a unimproved road that takes you down to the base of Neal Shoals Dam.
10. Sandy River Boat Access(SCA&G, pg26,E3). From Carlisle travel East on SC 72/121/215. Cross Broad River and go 0.6 miles to Store Road, on right. Follow Store Road for 1.2 miles to Boat Ramp Road. Turn Right onto Boat Ramp Road and follow to ramp.
11. Below Sandy River (SCA&G, pg26,E3) . From Carlisle travel East on SC 72/121/215. Cross Broad River and go 1.2 miles, then bear right on SC 215. Follow SC 215 2.9 miles to SSR S-20-99 on right. Turn right onto SSR 99 travel 0.5 miles turn right on to SSR 99. Travel 0.9 miles to Federal Road, turn right onto Federal Road. Follow Federal road 2.35 miles. On right find 4wd road (unnamed) and follow to river.
12. Broad River Waterfowl Management Area(SCA&G, pg26,H3). From I-26 (exit 74) take SC 34 east. After crossing the Broad River, look for Strother Road on right (approx. 0.1 miles). Turn onto Strother Road. Take first Right off Strother Road, cross train tracks and follow road to boat ramp.

Utility of Access area's

1. A concrete boat ramp that gives access to Gaston Shoals Reservoir.
2. Provides access to the tailwater below Gaston Shoals Dam, suitable for wade-fishing. A canoe or small boat could be launched here.
3. Provides access to the river below Gaston Shoals Dam a canoe or small boat may be launched.
4. Provides access to the river below Gaston Shoals Dam a canoe or small boat may be launched.
5. Provides access to the river above Cherokee Falls Dam. A boat could be launched from trailer here using 4WD.
6. A concrete boat ramp provides access to 99-island Reservoir.
7. A concrete boat ramp provides access to the river below 99-islands dam. However the river is very shallow which makes navigation difficult.
8. A concrete boat ramp that provides access to Neal Shoals Reservoir.
9. Provides access to the River below Neal Shoals Reservoir. A boat could be launched from a trailer here using 4WD.
10. A concrete boat ramp provides access to the River. However the river is very shallow which makes navigation difficult.
11. Provides access to the River below the Sandy River access. A boat could be launched from a trailer here using 4WD.
12. Provides access to the River above Parr Shoals Reservoir. A boat could be launched from a trailer here using 4WD.

Recommended Floats

Bowens River Access (area 3) to access area 4. This 4.5 mile float is suitable for a canoe or a small aluminum boat. There are many shoals that will need to be negotiated.

Below Neal Shoals Dam (area 9) to Sandy River (area 10). This 7.3 mile float is suitable for a canoe or a small aluminum boat. There are many shoals that will need to be negotiated.
BasserDrew
Site Admin

Postby Onthefly » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:06 pm

Thank you. That should get me started.
Onthefly

Postby Riverratsc » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:01 pm

basserdrew wrote:This is what the DNR will give you on the Broad. It is a great tool for access. Hope this helps.

FROM DNR:

The following is a list of access points along the Broad River from North Carolina to Parr Shoals Reservoir, SC. Although there are several access areas suitable for launching a boat, most of the river is very shallow and difficult to navigate. If you and your partner can't carry the boat, it's too big for this river. Down-river floats from one access point to another are the best way to utilize the river. At most water levels you will need to walk your boat through many of the shoals and riffles that occur along the river. Be aware that the access areas given here are notorious for vandalism. Directions will refer to the South Carolina Atlas and Gazetteer (SCA&G).

1. Access above Gaston Shoals Reservoir (SCA&G, pg20,C1). From I-85 (exit #96) head north on SC 18 to S-11-71 (Concord Church Road). Turn left on Concord Church Road to Estelle Road. Turn right and go to crossroad. Cross intersection, Estelle road becomes Sarratt Road. Take Sarratt road to Holems road to Big Bay Access Area.

Its just Concord Road if you are looking at the actually sign.

2. Access directly below Gaston shoals Dam (SCA&G, pg20,C1). Follow directions above, after crossroads take first right onto Spillway Road (dirt road). Follow Road down to Fishing trail.

Currently closed for construction per Duke Power the land owners.

3. Access below Gaston Shoals Dam, Bowens River Canoe Access (SCA&G, pg20,C1). From I-85 (exit 96) head north on highway 18. After crossing Broad River take first left onto S-11-98 (Dravo Road?). Cross Bowens Creek, access on left.

Watch out for drunken redneck on the weekends. yes its Dravo Rd.

4. Access downstream (approximately 3 miles) from Gaston Shoals Hydro(SCA&G, pg20,D1). From I-85 head south on SC 329, cross US 29, go approximately 0.5 miles to Ford Road. Turn left onto Ford Road, pass softball fields, go left through access gate, follow road to access area.

Again watch out for drunken rednecks on the weekends. Its a great place to fish but during the warmer months people can get out of hand.

5. Access above Lockhart Power company at Cherokee Falls (SCA&G, pg20,D1). From I-85 (exit 96)take SC 329 south. Turn Left onto US 29 (Toward Blacksburg). After crossing the Broad River travel approximately 1.5 miles. Turn Right on S-11-30 travel 1.7 miles name changes to Cherokee Road. Follow Cherokee Road for approximately 1 mile; access is on right just before powerhouse.

Its Cherokee Falls Rd. as you get closer to Cherokee Falls the road has several sharp curves, the ramp is a dirt ramp and can be hard to use.

6. 99-islands Reservoir (Pick Hill Access) (SCA&G, pg20,E2). From I-85 (exit 96) take SC 329 south. Turn Left onto US 29 (Toward Blacksburg). After crossing the Broad River travel approximately 3.4 miles into Blacksburg. Turn Right onto Charleston Street (SSR S-11-43), which becomes Ninety-Nine Islands Road. From Blacksburg, travel approximately 7 miles. Pick Hill Boat access is on the right.

Really not a good place for smallmouth unless you go all the way up to the rocks just below Cherokee Falls. Its not an easy task, trust me.

7. 99-islands access below the dam (SCA&G, pg20,E2). Follow directions to 99-islands Reservoir (Pick Hill Access). Continue to follow Ninety-Nine Islands Road 0.5 miles past Pick Hill access, road ends at boat ramp.

Strong current so becareful.

8. Neal Shoals Reservoir, Sumter National Forrest Woods Ferry Recreation Area (SCA&G, pg26,C2). From the town of Lockhart follow SC 49 west (toward Union) for approximately 1.8 miles to SSR S-44-86 (River Road). Turn left and follow River Road for approximately 5.4 miles to SSR S-44-389 (Boat Landing Road). Turn left and follow Boat Landing Road to Boat Ramp.
9. Below Neal Shoals Dam (SCA&G, pg26,C3). From the town of Lockhart travel east on SC 9 to SSR S-12-49. Turn Right onto SSR S-12- 49. Follow SSR S-12-49 for approximately 6 miles to Park Road, turn right onto Park Road. Follow Park Road for 1.3 miles to Neal Shoals Road/Vinson Road. Turn Left and follow Neal Shoals Road for 0.6 miles to Vinson Road. Bear Right onto Vinson Road. Follow Vinson Road to turn-around. At back of the turn-around, there is a unimproved road that takes you down to the base of Neal Shoals Dam.
10. Sandy River Boat Access(SCA&G, pg26,E3). From Carlisle travel East on SC 72/121/215. Cross Broad River and go 0.6 miles to Store Road, on right. Follow Store Road for 1.2 miles to Boat Ramp Road. Turn Right onto Boat Ramp Road and follow to ramp.
11. Below Sandy River (SCA&G, pg26,E3) . From Carlisle travel East on SC 72/121/215. Cross Broad River and go 1.2 miles, then bear right on SC 215. Follow SC 215 2.9 miles to SSR S-20-99 on right. Turn right onto SSR 99 travel 0.5 miles turn right on to SSR 99. Travel 0.9 miles to Federal Road, turn right onto Federal Road. Follow Federal road 2.35 miles. On right find 4wd road (unnamed) and follow to river.
12. Broad River Waterfowl Management Area(SCA&G, pg26,H3). From I-26 (exit 74) take SC 34 east. After crossing the Broad River, look for Strother Road on right (approx. 0.1 miles). Turn onto Strother Road. Take first Right off Strother Road, cross train tracks and follow road to boat ramp.

Utility of Access area's

1. A concrete boat ramp that gives access to Gaston Shoals Reservoir.

Currently closed.

2. Provides access to the tailwater below Gaston Shoals Dam, suitable for wade-fishing. A canoe or small boat could be launched here.
3. Provides access to the river below Gaston Shoals Dam a canoe or small boat may be launched.
4. Provides access to the river below Gaston Shoals Dam a canoe or small boat may be launched.
5. Provides access to the river above Cherokee Falls Dam. A boat could be launched from trailer here using 4WD.
6. A concrete boat ramp provides access to 99-island Reservoir.
7. A concrete boat ramp provides access to the river below 99-islands dam. However the river is very shallow which makes navigation difficult.
8. A concrete boat ramp that provides access to Neal Shoals Reservoir.
9. Provides access to the River below Neal Shoals Reservoir. A boat could be launched from a trailer here using 4WD.
10. A concrete boat ramp provides access to the River. However the river is very shallow which makes navigation difficult.
11. Provides access to the River below the Sandy River access. A boat could be launched from a trailer here using 4WD.
12. Provides access to the River above Parr Shoals Reservoir. A boat could be launched from a trailer here using 4WD.

Recommended Floats

Bowens River Access (area 3) to access area 4. This 4.5 mile float is suitable for a canoe or a small aluminum boat. There are many shoals that will need to be negotiated.

Below Neal Shoals Dam (area 9) to Sandy River (area 10). This 7.3 mile float is suitable for a canoe or a small aluminum boat. There are many shoals that will need to be negotiated.

They are two ramps on the Gaffney side of Broad River. The one below 99 Island is the better of the two that are below 99 Island. The two ramps are on down Hwy 329 (not sure how many miles) turn left onto McKowns Mountain Rd. go several miles and turn left onto Ninty-nine ferry Rd.

Duke Power has maps on the website that you can download of the areas in Cherokee County. They used to send out maps by request but they have stopped.
The Mighty Rat
Riverratsc

Postby Onthefly » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:08 am

Riverrat-

Thank you for the clarification. The Gaston Shoals ramp, you mentioned it is currently closed, is it only closed to boat launching? Can you still wade the section?

Thanks,
OTF
Onthefly

Postby TygerRiverWalker » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:26 am

You can get a map of access points @ the Broad River Greenway park just outside of Boiling Springs, NC off of Hwy. 150. Just ask the ranger, he'll give one to you for free!
TygerRiverWalker

Postby Riverratsc » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:56 pm

The ramp at Big Bay is closed to boats and since its in water more than 10 feet deep I say closed to wading. Below the dam is closed for everything. When I was there a few weeks ago they had heavy equipment in there and the road was closed.

Cherokee Ford is a great place to wade from the Gaffney side but becare because the water is deep on the Blacksburg side. I was watching a guy bass fish with a flyrod a few years back and he was there and gone the next. He came back up and said he stepped off a rock into water well over his head.

The Blacksburg side has very few access points below the Hwy 29 bridge. The small dirt ramp at Cherokee Falls(not a place to wade due to depth), Pick Hill there again not a place to wade and below 99 Island Dam its shallow somewhat. Below the dam the boat ramp which is at least 200 yards from the base of the dam can be waded. I've seen 4X4 truck drive across it when the drought was bad a few years back.

I catfish the deep water section behind/above the dams because thats what I fish for mainly now days.
The Mighty Rat
Riverratsc

Postby Riverratsc » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:20 pm

I fished around Ford Complex in Gaffney today but I didn't wade because I didn't want to get wet. Didn't catch anything either and the water is low but I've seen it much lower.
The Mighty Rat
Riverratsc

Postby Onthefly » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:50 pm

I fished last Saturday downtown Columbia, under Gervais Street Bridge, managed two fish 1 largemouth and 1 smallmouth both about 12inch fish. My buddy saw 5 fish togehter that appeared to be large 24"-30", as this is the head of the Congaree I suppose they may have been Stripers? I never got to see them. Did see a nice family of 4 river otters, probably why I only managed two fish all morning :wink:
Onthefly

Postby Riverratsc » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:01 am

Never seen any otters up here but I've seen a bunch of beavers and muskrats. Usually see them late in the evening while catfishing from the boat. I seen a few small fish, to small to make out what they were.
The Mighty Rat
Riverratsc

Postby BasserDrew » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:09 pm

I have been staying at a buddy's place on the Congaree just on the upstream side of the Blossom St. bridge (i think that is the name of it). I went out one night to wade the shoals and was almost to the other side of the river where it was warm and a huge thunderstorm rolled up and booted me off. Next week I may try and fish on Wednesday afternoon. I was amazed at how cold the water was on the west side of the river coming from the Saluda. BRRRR!!!
BasserDrew
Site Admin

Next

Return to Upstate and Midland Rivers