Virginia River Fishing Forum Index Virginia River Fishing
Dedicated to Virginia''s Warmwater Rivers and Streams and the People Who Enjoy Them

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you fish a crankbait in your river?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Virginia River Fishing Forum Index -> River Bassin'
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chip

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: How do you fish a crankbait in your river? Reply with quote

This will be the third of several threads seeking specific information on how you fish different baits. I also would like you to talk about the equipment you use to fish it. Things like line, reels, rods and their action, and the techniques you use.

Crankbaits / Jerkbaits: Size, color, type of wobble, & depth. W/rattle or quiet?
spoonva

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cranks, normally bandits. 100 and 200 series. just about all the colors they make.

Jerks, mainly LC. normally chartreuse shad or ghost minnow.

Rod, 6'6" baitcaster medium action fast tip.

Line, mono

crank techniques, slow retrieve with pauses. Try to bump the bottom.

Jerks, reel to depth then jerk jerk jerk, pause repeat. If cold water less jerk and more pause.

spoon
Creekstalker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crankbaits are my weakness. I never fish them, except for the Rebel Crawdad that dives to about 3' or so. I just hang the darn things up too often. I've got a buddy who fishes cranks for largemouths and tries to bang them off as much wood as possible. I just haven't developed the feel for it.

I like the Rapala Husky Jerk and have had some pretty good success with the X-Rap. The X-Rap dives a little deeper and I've managed to lose a few. I don't use jerkbaits too often unless they won't hit a spinnerbait. They can be deadly in the spring though.

I don't know if you count floating jointed Rapala Minnows as jerkbaits or topwaters, but the J-11 in silver and firetiger are mainstays in the largemouth and shoal bass waters down here. They are simply awesome. Cast. Twitch. Twitch. Slow, steady reel.

Creekstalker
Larry McDavid
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrankBaits:
Size: Weight ranges from 1/4 to 1/2. Mostly 3/8.
Color: Variations of crawdad, white, & shad mostly.
Wobble: Prefer wide wobble for shallow to middle depths, tight for deep water.
Depth: I use CB's that range from near surface to the river bottom depending on the time of year. Late spring to early fall, I use all depth ranges, Late fall to early spring, I use the deeper runners.
Rattles: Yes

Bandit is my favorite brand with Bomber a close second.

Baitcasting reels, 5.5' rods,Moderate action, light power rods are used for the lighter lures and shallow runners.
Fast action, ML & Med power rods are used for heavier lures and deep runners.

4/15 hi-vis braid on the light rods, 6/20 hi-vis braid on the ML & Med rods.

When it's working, I like to chunk and crank. If not I vary the retrieve, stop-start, etc. How long I stop the lure depends on the fish. Sometimes I just let it raise a little, others times I let it float all the way to the top. This last tactic sometimes triggers some hair raising surface strikes. Bottom drag with the deep runners when it works, it doesn't always.

Jerkbaits:
Weight ranges from 1/4 to 1/2. Mostly 3/8.
Color: Variations of clown, white, & green
Depth: Middle to bottom
Rattles: Yes

Favorite brands are LC, Owner Rip'n Minnows & X-Raps

Same baitcasting outfits as cranks, but tend to use the heavier lures & rods more.

Variations of jerk & pause. Sometimes a steady retrieve with no jerks or pauses will work as well as the jerk-pause technique. Sometimes just casting into current and letting it drift down with no retrieve other than keeping the line tight until the JB swings around downstream is a good tactic

Floating stick baits can also be used as JB's with excellent results at times.

JB's are effective lures year round in the waters that I fish.
Chip

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love to throw a crankbait! Some of the biggest fish I have ever caught have come off them. I enjoy repainting them and messing with them in general as I have talked about on another thread. I have a bias toward a crankbait Bomber no longer produces. It was called the 1A. It’s a 1 7/8” 1/5 oz. bait that runs about 3 feet deep. I also like a few Rebel Wee R’s. I stick to mainly crawfish colors and shad colors. That translates to browns, oranges, yellows, and reds, and silver / blue, blue, white, silver white, and silver / black. I have never found that fire-tiger colors have worked for me and I don’t understand why. I don’t have many jerkbaits now. A few Rapala’s and a long A Bomber. I have found that soft plastics used as jerk bait do a better job for me than the traditional ones. I use a 6’ ML baitcasting rod and 8 or 10 mono. line. I use a variety of retrieves. They vary from a burning retrieve to a slow retrieve with a pause and twitch. Usually the fish will tell me what they want. Most of my favorite crankbaits have a tight wiggle and have some sort of rattle. That said, one of my biggest river LM 's came from a big, wide wobbling, Bagley with no rattle. I guess the rattle only matters when it matters. Wink
JodyCussins

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I throw crankbaits and jerkbaits 90% of the time when on the water. They can run from the surface to digging the bottom in 20' of water. In recent years I have had my best luck in the winter and spring with the Rapala Shad Rap in the #5 and #7 sizes. This Smallie was caught on a #5 ShadRap in the old silver/ blk back color.

In the summer I throw a lot of Bandit Footloose and 100's plus the old Bomber shallow runner. My best colors are; Crawfish, White, Splatter Back(yellow belly/ black specks), and Tn. Shad colors.

Jerkbaits are one of my favoite lures to throw. The TD minnow has been my lure of choice for the past few years. It really doesn't matter the color as long as the flash is there. Take for instance last year I was using my normal TD and my buddy ( who shall remain nameless) Wink was using everything in his box! I think I caught 50+ smallies that day and he caught like 8 fish. I finally felt sorry for him and gave him my TD to use. For some reason he couldn't get the action out of the bait I could, and still could catch anything. He was using a baitcaster and I was using a spinning rod and I think that was the difference.

Soft plastics, I have to give a nod to Case SSS and the SS minnows as my go to baits in that catagory. I use Pearl, Pearl Holo., and Daquiri colors the most. I have always tex-posed and texas rigged my baits but Larry has gotten me into using circle hooks and nose hooking them. This has become my choice especially when drifting the baits. This fish came on a Casee SS Minnow in the Pearl.

The rods and reels I use are Shimano Spirex 2000 and 2500 with 14/6 Fireline. The rods are Airrus in med and med. lt. actions, 6' and 6'6"
in length.
hookup

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Cranks Reply with quote

I don't.

I'm weak, I keep buying them, but rarely even carry them.

Not a confidence bait in my arsenol.

Now jerkbaits are a different story.

After fishing w/ a master jerker and being schooled in the correct mannor of fishing them, I BELIEVE now and I can't pass a lucky craft stand at a tackle shop and not go through them to see if they have a color or style I dont.

I do a slight modification to jerks. Loose the front snap ring for one that you can quickly change baits and tie a sparce amount of feather, maribou, deer or flashaboo to the rear tail hook. About the only bait I fish on braid consistently. Twitch Twitch and depending on water temps pause. I've been known to pause as long as 45 seconds before the next twitch.

Now fishing them on a MH spinning set up (homemade Avid split TN handle, 6' MH) but just got my first freshwater baitcaster and look forward to educating my thumb.
l1ranger

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love cranks - most of mine are bandits as well, with bombers and some misc ones filling in gaps.

They do it all, from fast to slow and deep to shallow. generally I like to get them ticking the rocks and bottom. Sometimes I like them really digging and other times I'm running them shallow. The fish tell me what they want. i'll get a lot of bites after pausing to float over a rock or other obstruction I've ran into. If I had to narrow down colors (please don't make me) it would be white, craw pattern, and firetiger.

6 to 6.5' casting gear with a moderate action. Powers from ML to MH depending on the lure thrown, generally for the bandit 100s and 200s I go with a M power - footlooses and bomber shallow As go to ML - 300s and other deep diggers I like a MH. 20/6 powerpro for it all

Jerkbaits I don't have quite the touch on - but I've had reasonable success over the lst year with them. mostly x raps and husky jerks - i've got one LC but it hasn't gotten wet yet. varied retrieve but I like ot fish them as fast as the fish will allow. I like a M or MH fast action rod thats sensitive in the 6 to 6-6 range
mountnmann1

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love crankbaits......more specifically minnow-baits..........more specifically the J-9 rapala. I consider this to be the most versatile bait out there; it'll cover the water column from topwater down to around 6 feet. It's slim profile matches most of the minnows in all of the Va drainages and with all of the colors available its easy to "match the hatch". I prefer to use them in 4ft of water or less, around basketball size or bigger rocks. One of the best places I've found to throw a J-9 is against a rock bar that drops into deeper water. Throw it right against the bar and start reeling immediately. My retrieve varies from chuck and reel to waking it across the top to twitch and sit. I try to make it act as much like a real minnow as possible. I've got every color made, but my favorites are silver/black and brook trout.

I can't justify why I'd wanna go slower,
Taking my time just ain't my style......

Wait for the bump.....
kickin bass

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to use the Manns baby minus one and bandit 100's and footloose. I like chartruese, baby bass, and the chrome with black or blue back. The only jerkbaits I use are the brokenback and 2 3/4 inch rapalas in gold and silver. I am more of a soft plastics fisherman.

I use the cranks on an Abu Garcia black max combo with 12 pound 100% fluorocarbon line (use it for bucketmouths too). I fish the jerks on a spinning reel with 10 pound BPS excel fluorocarbon or Berkely mono.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Virginia River Fishing Forum Index -> River Bassin' All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: